• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTS21FSKESS GE Refrigerator - Start Relay Just Replaced A Week Ago

JimmyMas

Premium Member
Model Number
GTS21FSKESS
Brand
GE
Working on a GE fridge model GTS21FSKESS. Client called and said the fridge would not cool down at all, she hears a loud click after a few seconds when she plugs it back in. I ordered the start relay ahead of time, install it, compressor kicks right on, seems to be working fine for a week. Now she says everything defrosted in the freezer and the fridge feels warm too. She moved out all her food and unplugged it. I ask her to plug it back in. She says compressor kicked on within a few seconds and freezer back panel is feeling cool.

Am I looking at a possible compressor problem? I ohmed out the windings when there and they came in at spec. Could this compressor just start half the time? Possibly the piston is jamming up?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Am I looking at a possible compressor problem?

More than likely, yes :(

Compressor damaging the new relays, compressor locking up, compressor drawing too much current.
LINK> Compressor

jeff sr.

JimmyMas

Premium Member
Unfortunate, I’m going to go make sure the relay and everything is installed right, nothing left loose and break the bad news to them once I confirm that. Thx Jeff

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
A good idea, once all else checks ok.....leaves the compressor itself.

jeff sr.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.