GTW460ASJ0WW GE washer Programming new electronic board

JodyCrefrigerat

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW460ASJ0WW
Brand
GE
My GE washer would shut down in middle of cycle and I would have to flip to drain and spin to finish the cycle. Repairman came out, and of course, everything worked for him. That same night, machine turned itself on and started filling with water. Had to pull plug to shut it off. Replaced board but had some issues with programming. I have been following a thread on this forum that had the same problem as far as programming, but their original problem was a broken start button. By the way, my machine is a GE Allura. Model# GTW460ASJ0WW. Serial #TF903795G.

I went into field service mode for Test 17. When I press and hold the START button to accept Personality Code 6, it starts filling with water and all the lights go off. Went to drain and spin to get rid of water and that cycle would not work. I also have to say that when I originally installed the board, had issues with the programming but I was eventually able to wash on white and color cycles only. No other cycles would work. Tried to reprogram multiple times thinking I was doing it incorrectly.

I do not believe that is the issue any more just because I have done it so many times. I now understand the whole concept relating to the programming. There has to be another issue here. Don't know if the new board is bad or something else? Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Been at this on and off for a couple of weeks. Thank yoU!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
From an idle state (all LEDs off) press and hold the start button for about 10 seconds until all the LEDs turn on then release the start button.

The pause and lid locked LEDs should be constantly blinking

The status LEDs will be blinking for any error codes. As before the error codes are in binary so add the blinking LEDs number to get the error code number

Press the start button to move to the next error code

All the status LEDs will start blinking when there are no more error codes

JodyCrefrigerat

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
I tried this. All the lights continued to blink which indicates that there are no error codes? Press and held the start button for 3 seconds to exit and it would not shut off. All lights just kept blinking. I had to pull the plug to exit. Thanks for your reply.
Jody

rickgburton

Staff member
JodyCrefrigerat said:
Press and held the start button for 3 seconds to exit.....
That's for exiting field service mode not error code mode. Pressing any button (other than Start), or turning any knob will exit the Error Code Mode.

With the machine in stand by mode (all LEDs off), Press and hold the start button while rotating the cycle select knob 180° (7 clicks) then release the start button. All the status LEDs should be blinking. Rotate the knob clockwise until the status LEDs look like this:
2.jpg

Press the start button. Do you see this:
6.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The part number of that main control board has changed from WH18X25395 to WH18X28174 Make sure you have the correct part number for the control board you ordered.

Jake

JodyCrefrigerat

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
Did the 7 clicks and the binary code looked like the first one. Once I pressed start, Personality Code 1 was showing (Spin cycle light blinking). Not Personality Code 6 in your second example.

Jake, Yes, I did purchase the correct part number. Thank you both.

Jody

JodyCrefrigerat

Premium Member
I again tried to change the Personality No. through Service mode Test 17. The instructions say pressing start will start the test. Press start again and the next valid personality should be displayed. All this worked fine. (P No. 1 showing in binary code). The next step says to press and hold the start button to select the correct personality. This is where I get confused.. Do I use the control know while still holding start till I get to P No. 2 in binary code then release start? Do I do this same thing again for P No 4? I believe I have to select P No 2 an P No 4 to get to personality code 6 but do I hold start while using control knob or do I release start and re-press start between the two?
I hope I am explaining this correctly. Thanks again for your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
Seems like everyone gets stuck in the same spot. With the machine in stand by mode (all LEDs off), Press and hold the start button while rotating the cycle select knob 180° (7 clicks) then release the start button. All the status LEDs should be blinking. Rotate the knob clockwise until the status LEDs look like this:
17.jpg

Press and release the start button. If you don't see "6" ... Wait 1 second then press and release the start button again. Wait 1 second in between start presses until the "6" comes up.
6.jpg

When the status LEDs show "6" Press and hold the start button for about 3 seconds

rickgburton

Staff member
You should probably do this also; After you press and hold the start button for 3 seconds, Rotate the cycle select knob counterclockwise 1 click and the status LEDs should look like this:
16.jpg

Press the start button. This clears any error codes.

JodyCrefrigerat

Premium Member
OK. Did this and all lights went off. Am I still in service field mode? Do I need to exit that by pressing and holding the start button for 3 seconds?

JodyCrefrigerat

Premium Member
Hi Rick, When I do this, Positions 1, 2, 4 and 16 are lit up. Continued turning knob counterclockwise and never had a code with just position 16 lit up.

Jody
You should probably do this also; After you press and hold the start button for 3 seconds, Rotate the cycle select knob counterclockwise 1 click and the status LEDs should look like this:
View attachment 44536
Press the start button. This clears any error codes.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, when the "6" showed up and you press and held the start button for 3 seconds it did two things at the same time, entered the personality code and exited service mode. For now forget about test 16 clearing the error codes. Now, read post #4 and see if you have the correct personality code.