GTW460ASJ4WW GE washer will run 10 seconds, then shuts off the control

Appliantology

Premium Member
Model
GTW460ASJ4WW
Brand
GE
The unit will run for about 10 seconds (sensing and spinning) then shuts off the control and quickly shuts on again but remains idle.

I suspect the hall sensor is bad, but can not find any specifications on the part. part #WH12X26329

Thanks in advance!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The speed/hall sensor can be diagnosed two ways:

1-Enter the Service Mode and Run the Spin Test
If the speed/hall sensor is bad or disconnected, the basket will start to spin normally at first. After 5 seconds, motor power will be stopped and a locked rotor fault will be set. If the washer continues to spin for at least 15 seconds, the
speed/hall sensor is good.

2- Test the voltage
From connector pins 3 through 5 on the J602 connector should read approximately 9 VDC. Pins 1 through 5 should read approximately 4.5 VDC while rotating the basket .

Appliantology

Premium Member
I am not sure I had an accurate reading, 10 volts and then 50. The resistance on the sensor: orange to brown 3.45 ohm, brown and blue 3.95 ohm, brown and blue .5 ohm.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
rickgburton said:
1-enter the service mode and run the spin test
if the speed/hall sensor is bad or disconnected, the basket will start to spin normally at first. After 5 seconds, motor power will be stopped and a locked rotor fault will be set. If the washer continues to spin for at least 15 seconds, the speed/hall sensor is good.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What was the final outcome with this GE washer?

Its very important to update us before you start a new thread on another appliance.:)

Jake

Appliantology

Premium Member
IMG_1076.jpgIMG_1074.jpg

My Apologies for not finishing up....

This job started off with the customer over tightening the water valve, as a result it broke & sprayed the main board which resulted in the above pictures. With the main board & water valve replaced we found that the door lock was also open (due to power surge is my guess) which brought us to this thread. Thanks to your help above, the hall sensor suffered the same fate as the door lock. It all boiled down to CEV (cost exceeds value). So we never got it running completely. Morel of the story, "Righty Tighty-Lefty Loosey"

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Morel of the story, "Righty Tighty-Lefty Loosey"
LOL, I would agree with you on that 110% per your photos, a valuable lesson for sure.:)

Here's the control board for this model in case others need it too:
WH18X28174 Washing Machine Control Board

Here's the lid switch/lid lock assembly for this model in case others need it too:
WH01X27954 Lid Lock Quick Release

For others following your thread that have this same GE model, here's how to test the lid switch/lid lock assembly below:

Lid Lock Assembly Diagnosis
The Lid Switch requires 120 VAC to activate the locking mechanism. The approximate resistance of the lock coil is 70 ohms from red-violet at the J513 control board connector.
Check the lid switch continuity of the lid switch between Red and Yellow at the same connector.

Thanks for the update!

Jake