• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTW460ASJ4WW Spin Problem and Fabric Softener Issues

Zarfumbra

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW460ASJ4WW
Brand
GE
Hello! We have a GE GTW460ASJ4WW washer that is almost 4 years old. A few weeks ago, while I was away on business, spouse noticed that the clothes were wet at end of cycle, and wasn't hearing the unit go to the highest spin setting to wring out the water. At same time, she was noticing splotches and stains from fabric softener on all the clothes. She called local GE tech, who visited and advised that the master control board WH18X28174 had to be replaced, along with all four spring assemblies (p/n WH16X24145 and WH16X24144). He also advised to clean out the dispenser cup, cap and holes on the spindle. She was not there at the machine with him the entire time, so has no idea if he entered the diagnostic modes, what codes were returned or if they were cleared.

She dutifully cleaned the dispenser cap, cup and holes on the spindle, but splotches and stains are still appearing. Only way to get rid of them is do a second rinse. The washer spins fine, but will not go to the highest rate of spin. The tech told spouse that if the combined weight of clothes and water is too great over time, the rods/springs can weaken and this may trigger a sensor precluding the washer from spinning at the highest rate, which could also affect how fabric softener is dispensed. Does this make sense? The rod/spring assembly weakening over time I can understand, but have no clue on the sensor part, or the need to replace the entire master control board (which is a very pricey part). Perhaps the lack of speed is also causing the fabric to dispense unevenly? Greatly appreciate any guidance or information anyone has on these symptoms and recommendations for solving them. I can get replacement rod/spring assemblies for about $7 - $8 apiece from GE or a local appliance parts store, and would rather do that first before replacing the board, but cannot find any instructions on how to do this the right way for this model washer. Thanks in advance for help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What is the serial number of your washer? I located a service bulletin on this problem.

Intermittently Spin Up, Wet Loads, Not Spinning
--->Serial numbers: HF – GL (May 2015 - April 2018)
A washer exhibiting symptoms of not spinning or occasionally not reaching full spin speed, resulting in wet clothes, may be repaired with a software update.

Order Software Update Module (SUM) WH98R23015001.
Instructions to update software are included with the SUM.
If acceptable, consumers can update washer software on their own without an additional service call with a SUM.

Jake

Zarfumbra

Premium Member
Sorry hit SUBMIT too fast. Looks like our unit is outside of the affected serial number range for that software update, rats.

Vince

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Vince, it's not outside that range.:)

Your machine was made in March 2016.:)

Order the software update kit!

Jake

Zarfumbra

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
Oh my, I read that serial number range incorrectly, saw it start with HL and thought we were to the left of that range already. Thanks for straightening me out!
I will order the software update kit tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

One more question: is there a procedure for replacing the rod/spring assemblies? Front right side does look like it rides a little lower than the others.

Regards,
Vince

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry, I forgot to mention the service bulletin also address that issue(Walking, Banging And Excessive Vibration) by ordering this part: WH02X26590.

No need to order the springs and rods yet.:)

Jake

Zarfumbra

Premium Member
Thanks for the additional info Jake. The software update kit has been ordered, will get the additional part too. I will update this thread once I have completed the update, and will wait on the springs and rods too :)

Since I have never updated the washer before, one question: if this doesn't resolve the problem, is there a way to restore the software to a point before the update, similar to what happens with laptops and desktops (Windows 10 automatically creates a restore point so you can back out of the update to the last good know version).

Vince

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
if this doesn't resolve the problem, is there a way to restore the software to a point before the update, similar to what happens with laptops and desktops (Windows 10 automatically creates a restore point so you can back out of the update to the last good know version).
Not that I'm aware of Vince.

This update should fix it, it fixed another members GE washer doing the same thing.:)

Jake