GTW460ASJ4WW stops agitating shortly after starting - won't spin

Stromboli

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW460ASJ4WW
Brand
GE
Hi all,
Did a search for this model and didn't come up with anything that matched our current issue with our GE GTW460ASJ4WW washer. We took a power surge from nearby lightning the other day and our washer has been acting up since. It powers on and will fill properly, it then will begin to agitate for exactly 5 back/forth motions before it plays the little "I'm Done" tune and turns itself off. I can then get it to at least drain by using the "drain and spin" setting but it won't spin.

Here are the codes that it has thrown.

WasherCodes.jpg

Any help diagnosing this issue is much appreciated as I would rather fix this thing than buy a new one as it is only 3 years old.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'd check the control board to see if you notice any burnt spots on it.

Here's the control board for your model:
WH18X28174 Washing Machine Control Board

If the control board looks good, It could be a bad lid switch, I'd ohm test that next.

The lid switch and the lid lock are both together in one part.

Here's the lid switch/lid lock assembly for your model:
WH01X27954 Lid Lock Quick Release

Lid Lock Assembly Diagnosis
The Lid Switch requires 120 VAC to activate the locking mechanism. The approximate resistance of the lock coil is 70 ohms from red-violet at the J513 control board connector.
Check the lid switch continuity of the lid switch between Red and Yellow at the same connector.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, let us know what you find!

Jake

Stromboli

Premium Member
I ended up pulling that board completely out and really giving it a once over and didn't see any indication of an issue. No scorching on the board or bulging capacitors.
Tried testing lid switch as described and it appeared to be that so I ordered and installed the new switch with no change in behavior.
Any other advice on how to proceed or things to look for? Thanks for all your help so far.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member