FIXED GTW485ASJ0WS GE washer sounds like it’s trying to spin but doesn’t spin

Vanltom

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW485ASJ0WS
Brand
GE
I had my main water turned off due to repairing a toilet. Before the main water was turned back on a load of laundry was attempted. Now the washer sounds like it’s trying to spin but doesn’t spin. The lid is unlocked. I have tried the motor reset where you unplug and then reply it back in and lift the lid 6 times. Hours later of trying and still nothing. The flashing light only flashes the LED indicating sensing/Fill. I’m at a loss now for what to do. Please help😞

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check for any error codes. Unplug the machine for several minutes then restore power. If the machine is in an idle state, no LEDs on, press and hold the start button for 10 seconds. When the LEDs turn on release the start button. The pause and lid locked LEDs should be constantly blinking. The first fault will show on the display. Press start to move to the next fault. When there's no more faults the display will show "__". Post any codes here.

Vanltom

Premium Member
Hi Rickgurton, I did do that. It gives me a fault code on the wash LED. Then it goes right away back to the sensing/fill LED light and then begins that whole nose again.

Vanltom

Premium Member
It first flashes on the wash LED. Then it skips over to the sensing/fill LED. It never really lets me do the cycle and clearing them. It just does the sounds like it’s trying to spin but never spins. Better if maybe, I should upload pics when I get off work?

Vanltom

Premium Member
Ok these are the LED’s that light up when in goes into service mode. The last picture is what it is on constantly now with a sound of its spinning but not actually spinning

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, so yours doesn't have a display so everything will be in binary (I'll explain in a minute). If you followed my steps in post #2 you were in customer error code mode and not service mode.

Machine in an idle state,( not running and all LEDs off)

Press and hold the start button while rotating the cycle select knob 180° or 7 clicks (about 10 seconds) then release the start button.

All the LEDs will turn on then off for 3 seconds then all the cycle status LEDs will be blinking

Turn the cycle select knob until you see the status LEDs look like this:

1.jpg

This is test 1. Test 1 is error codes. To activate test 1 press and release the start button.

The status LEDs will show the fault code in binary. In binary the status LEDs each have their own number starting with 1 on the far right and the number doubles as you move to the left.
status leds.jpg

The control gives you the number by adding the status LEDs numbers together here’s some examples

binary 1.jpg

Write down the fault code then press and release the start button for the next fault code. No fault codes all the LEDs will blink. Test #6 is Hot valve Test 7 is Cold valve. Press start will turn on water. Press start again to turn off.

Vanltom

Premium Member
Ok, I went home and did exactly that. It did work! The water started flowing right away! You are awesome!!! I really thought it was a loss cause! Thank you so much! I really regret getting so irritated with it that I broke the button😔

rickgburton

Staff member
Vanltom said:
I really regret getting so irritated with it that I broke the button
Been there. Done that! LOL I'm glad to hear you got it working!.