• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTW485ASJ2WS GE Washer - stopped completing the spin cycle

w_gray

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW485ASJ2WS
Brand
GE
Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble with my GE washer model # GTW485ASJ2WS - SERIAL # TG. It's only about two years old, and suddenly stopped completing the spin cycle. It will go all the way through wash, rinse, and I can hear it drain the light will go to spin, but the drum doesn't spin.

Things I've tried: resetting the machine (unplug, lift lid 6 times, etc. etc.) - Did NOT work. Same result - won't spin water out.

THEN I noticed that the machine started draining (I could hear the pump running) ALL BY ITSELF! No lights on, on the control board. I unplugged it, and left it unplugged while I was out of town, plugged it back in and it picked right on up draining. Tried turning the knobs, and nothing, no lights.

Called a local repair guy, he told me to plug it in a let the drain pump run until it timed out (but no more than 5-10 min). Stopped after 5 minutes, and then seemed normal. Still wouldn't spin water out. Repair guys comes out, spends an hour rocking, banging, and checking the lid switch. Seriously, he banged on the front panel with his fists. Doesn't fix it - says it might be the actuator arm - but says that it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it. Can you feel my eyes rolling yet. He said he'd order the part and give me a call in a week. Never heard back from him.

I unplug it and go on vacation for another week. When I get back, I call a DIFFERENT repair guy. He comes out, plugs it in, turns the dial to "wash" and IT WORKS JUST FINE. We couldn't get any of the issues I had to manifest. He takes my money, and says to do some laundry and call him if it starts back up.

WELL, three loads later - ITS DOING IT AGAIN. Won't spin, tried several different wash and drain/spin cycles. NADA. No spin. Then about an hour ago, it started running BY ITSELF again.

I've been trying to research how to fix the issue, and I can't decide if it's a control board issue or if its a software update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Ok Yes, get the Software Update Module WH98R23015001 and keep us posted.

It does fix this problem, look here:

I'm attaching Service Bulletin HL04-18 below.

Jake

Attachments

• HL04-18 (1).pdf
    209.9 KB · Views: 153

w_gray

Premium Member
Hi Jake!

Thanks for the info - just one question. When I looked at the bulletin - it says serials #'s HF – GL are affected - my serial # starts with TG.

Do you think this will still fix my issue?

Best,
Weslie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Weslie, because the 2nd digit is the year.

Yours is G so its between F and L.:)

Jake

w_gray

Premium Member
Hallelujah! I had no idea that's how their serial #'s worked.

Many thanks! I've ordered the part and will let you know if it works (which I'm sure it will!).

Weslie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Weslie, sounds good.

Jake

w_gray

Premium Member
Hey Jake,
So, I installed the update and washer worked fine for about 5 loads. Now I am back to it doing the same thing. What do you suggest I try now?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, You'll need to have GE come out to see what's going on.

Contact GE at 1-800-432-2737 to schedule a tech to come out.

Jake