GTW680BSJ5WS GE washer turns itself on

chatdad

Model Number
GTW680BSJ5WS
Brand
GE
Our three year old washer turned itself on and appears to want to agitate. You can hear water coming in. There are no lights on the control panel. The lid is not locked. You can spin the dial though nothing changes. It started dripping water last night after a spin and rinse cycle. Is it just possessed? Tried unplugging and that didn't work. It picked up where it left off. Reading the board my assumption is we either have a defective water fill valve or defective master board. Any ideas that a non-mechanical layperson can try before we decide if we want to spend the money on a service call or just chalk it up to the normal modern day appliance life cycle of 3 years?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What's the serial number of your washer? It will be on the model number tag. Then I'll check to see if you have any service bulletins addressing this problem.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

Mejia2c

Premium Member
Hi,

What's the serial number of your washer? It will be on the model number tag. Then I'll check to see if you have any service bulletins addressing this problem.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake
Hey Jake mine started to do this tonight. Same model. My SN is. GL163063G. I’d appreciate any help. I’ve only had this about 14 months.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is it doing the exact same thing as chatdad's?

I did locate one service bulletin on yours, I'm attaching it below.

There is a update kit for this, part number is WH98R23015001 you can do it yourself it just plugs in and resets washer.

Jake

Attachments

Mejia2c

Premium Member
Yeah exact same thing. I’m heading home right now. Going to go plug it back in and see if it continues trying to wash air.

kp2thebeach

Hello! My model # GTW680BSJ5WS started doing the same thing this morning and it is only 15 months old. The serial # is FL157389G. Would I need the same reset part to fix mine?

Mejia2c

Premium Member
Hello! My model # GTW680BSJ5WS started doing the same thing this morning and it is only 15 months old. The serial # is FL157389G. Would I need the same reset part to fix mine?
Hey I found a page that told me to unplug it. Tilt it forward at 45 degrees for a couple minutes. Then backwards. At 45 degrees. Then plug it in and let it do it’s thing. Could take up to 30 minutes. Mine took 10. Cause of this is over filling your washer and water getting to areas it’s not supposed to and thinking it needs to drain.