• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTW680BSJ6WS GE Washer buttons don't work but dial does

jmcnair101

Premium Member
Model Number
GTW680BSJ6WS
Brand
GE
Yesterday I was washing a big comforter. During the spin cycle it was severely out of balance. I tried pushing the pause button so I could open the lid to redistribute the load but that didn't work. I pushed the power and start button several times but nothing worked. I then rotated the dial and that stopped the machine. After it stopped, none of the buttons seem to function. The dial does work but can't get the machine to run. I left it unplugged overnight hoping it would reset but still doesn't work. If I plug it in and press any button I get nothing on the display. If I open the lid the display lights up. On "colored clothes" cycle, the stain removal guide will switch light one light then move to another then another on it's own. I tried going into service mode (start button rotate dial 180 degrees) but it doesn't seem to do anything. I would appreciate any suggestions on steps to try to "reset" the control board. Momma wants to do laundry and isn't happy. lol

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

jmcnair101

Premium Member
I was able to get into what I think is Consumer error mode by holding the start button for 10 seconds and it showed 31 Lid locked and pause. Pressing start again didn't cycle to any other errors then the screen timed out. Can't seem to get it back into the service mode again.

jmcnair101

Premium Member
I have a little more info to help troubleshoot. I let it sit plugged in for a while then held the start button and rotated the 180 and it went into service mode. Moving it into any of the test positions and pushing start does nothing. Moved it to the position to clear codes and pushed start and got nothing. Held start for about 2-3 seconds and the display flashed for a second. Pushing any other buttons doesn't get me out of service mode so let it sit for 30 minutes and it was then out of service mode. Was able to run one load on "colors" but afterwards same symptoms as before. None of the buttons do anything.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jmcnair101

Premium Member
Model - GTW680BSJ6WS
After letting it sit for a while again, I was able to run another load and the buttons seem to be working now but haven't run back to back loads yet. Will try again today. It's very strange the way it was acting though. Will post up again this afternoon. Thanks for the help so far.