• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GTWN3000M1WS GE Washer agitates but won't spin

mayl

Premium Member
Model Number
GTWN3000M1WS
Brand
GE
Per the title, my washer fills, drains and agitates but won't spin. I've been through the following steps trying to repair it:

Originally, the washer would neither agitate, nor spin. Observed LED on motor was not blinking and could not find a wiring harness fault so replaced the motor. Now it agitates, but still won't spin.

Verified that the lid switch works (with ohm meter, and by verifying that agitation starts/stops with lid as expected).

Fill sensor appears to work - I can set different fill levels, the tube appears clear and I can blow through the tube and get a click up at the sensor.

Replaced the timer today, no discernible change still agitates but won't spin. I suspect there is nothing wrong with my original timer.

I've measured the voltages at my motor and everything seems broadly consistent with this pinout I found except for 9V on C4, but I don't know how to put my machine in field service mode. Thus far, I haven't suspected anything mechanical since the motor doesn't attempt to turn when in the spin cycle, agitate works and I when putting the belt on after replacing the motor there wasn't anything grinding or difficult about turning the pulley and basket. I haven't seen any error codes blinking on the new motor, but for good measure tried the unplug and open/close the lid 6 times to reset the motor several times anyways. I've inspected the motor contacts and connector contacts and all seem good.

I'm running out of ideas to try, can anyone suggest what else there could be which is preventing my spin cycle from working? Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you got a defective motor. Where did you get it at?

How many times is the LED flashing on the new motor OR is the LED STEADY OFF or STEADY ON?

Shawn has a good webpage that explains this here: HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

That pinout you posted does not apply to your model, because your model has a timer and not a control board.

Here's the motor for your model:
WH20X10093 Drive Motor

Jake

mayl

Premium Member
Thanks for pointing me to Shawn's site, I had actually come across that before, very handy resource. I didn't mention in my initial post but after looking for it, I came to the conclusion that my machine doesn't have a fusable link.

Could be a defective motor - I got it refurb and "tested" off Ebay. The motor LED blinks 1 second on, 1 second off which I understand to be the normal "standby" state.

Thanks for the link to the motor - looks the same as the one I got. I'm sure that is a more reputable supplier, but it's kind of a gut punch of a price. $300 is fully half the cost of a brand new similar machine and I'd have to consider carefully just getting a new machine vs repairing my current machine if that's the only option. I initiated contact with the Ebay seller I bought my current motor from - maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send me a second refurb unit which works.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate any other ideas you might have.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could be a defective motor - I got it refurb and "tested" off Ebay.
Yes, highly likely.

Yes, I know the new OEM motor is very expensive, and I agree with you that is more wise to save the repair money for a new washer.

So if I was you I would return the motor to ebay and get your money back and go washer shopping.:)

Jake

mayl

Premium Member
Yes, I'm processing a return on the current motor. In your experience, what is the success rate with the Ebay sellers? I fully understand and accept the wisdom of your advice, but am still tempted to try my luck one more time with another ~$75 Ebay motor with a decent return policy before shelling out ~$600 for a whole new washer...

As one last hail Mary - do you know of any resources for debugging and repairing the inverter at the board level? I'm a EE by profession, so I'm confident I could do the rework as necessary safely but it would be easier if there were schematics or even block diagrams for the hydrowave inverter circuit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
In my 35 years as a career appliance tech. I never buy any appliance parts on amazon or ebay, so I can't answer that question on ebay sellers.

I get all my parts for my LOCAL customers at AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, all parts from them ALWAYS has a 365 day warranty.

As one last hail Mary - do you know of any resources for debugging and repairing the inverter at the board level? I'm a EE by profession, so I'm confident I could do the rework as necessary safely but it would be easier if there were schematics or even block diagrams for the hydrowave inverter circuit.
No, I sure don't know where they would do that at, sorry.

Jake