FIXED GTWN4250D1WS washer won't agitate or spin -- help!

DebGeb

Premium Member
Model Number
GTWN4250D1WS
Brand
GE
Getting a lid switch error code from the motor but:
1. Lid switch has continuity.
2. I removed it anyway and tested it again. Still works.
3. I jumped the lid switch wires but still get nothing past the fill cycle (not sure timer is advancing either)

Besides filling, it does drain. Quite nicely, thank you. But in between, there's just a quiet motor hum and no action I can see.

Earlier, I had it open to rebalance the tub after my boy jammed a load or more so full that one of the tub straps broke. After I replaced it, was sort of surprised to see the tub rotate counterclockwise as it was filling. I don't remember seeing that before. Now, nothing's moving. :(

So...now I can't clear the code on the motor because I bypassed the lid switch. Other sites say to reset the motor, you must do the unplug-it-then-6-times-in-12-seconds raise the lid thing. Is there another way to reset the motor? Is there something else I should try? (belt and pulley, good)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Nope, that's the only way to reset the motor per this GE video below:

That will also clear the error code on the motor, do that again, then start a cycle and see if the motor gets that same error code or another error code or no error code, and let us know.

Jake

DebGeb

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I reconnected the lid switch and did the top-of-the-machine testing with no error results. But after several tries, got the error code 10 on the motor flashing lights. Unplugged and reset several times with same results. Best I could figure is the connection to the control board or the motor itself has gone bad. With the prices on replacement parts, we decided it's time to cut bait.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Deb.:)

For others following your thread:

A 10-Flash error on the Motor indicates lost communication.

You can actually test your control board.

Communication voltages are sent from the Control Board to the Motor. Test for these steady and pulsing serial voltages at the Control Board J7 Connecter.
Check for approximately 12.8 VDC steady from RED to BLUE. The BLUE wire is DC ground.
Check for the pulsing DC communication voltage from the RED and YELLOW. This is a pulsing, not a steady, voltage. If either voltage is absent at the Control Board J7 Connecter, replace the Control Board.

Here's the control board for THIS model:
WH12X10614 Control Asm

If the steady and pulsing voltages are OK at the Control Board J7 Connecter, disconnect the communication harness at the Motor and check the Motor harness connecter for the same voltages found at the Control Board.
If voltages are OK at the Motor harness connecter, replace the Motor.

Here's the motor for THIS model:
WH20X10094 Motor and Inverter Asm

Jake

jesjimm

I had the same problem. I did the test, replaced the motor and it's works. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Thanks for letting us know!

Jake