GTWN5050M0WS GE washer not filling

Kevin1979

Premium Member
Model Number
GTWN5050M0WS
Brand
GE
I have a ge washer and its not filling. I ran the through the diagnostic and its saying thermistor error. But ive read a few threads on here that they changed them and still had control board issues.. has anyone changed the thermistor and it worked?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kevin,

Yes, usually it's a bad control board. But its always best to check the lid switch and the fuse first. A bad thermistor would just cause the temperatures to get out of whack, it shouldn't cause the machine not to fill at all.

Here's a similar thread with your exact same model number that I helped with back in 2014 for this problem:

Also, Did you check for an error code per the flashing LED on the motor inverter board and if the light isn’t blinking check the fuse. If the light isn’t blinking and the fuse isn’t blown replace the motor.

Here's the motor/inverter for your model(Video Included):
Motor and inverter assembly WH20X10066

Jake

Kevin1979

Premium Member
Checked the motor and its flashing normal 1 sec on 1 sec off. Funny thing is i cant find the inline fuse.. i took off the lid and front and traced the wires from motor to board. Theyre solid all the way to the power cord crimp.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the motor light is blinking then your in-line fuse is good, so don't worry about that.

Next test your lid switch per Shawn's instructions here: HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Kevin1979

Premium Member
Idk..thought i had it... changed out the control board and ran diagnostic and no lights.. ran a load and it filled up and started washing.. half hour later i come down to find a washer not washing and full of water.. set to drain and spin and it drained but never went to spin.. now it wont do anything again and the diagnostic is telling me thermistor again.. im really feeling defeated and hoping i didnt just ruin a 120$ board... thinking of throwing in the towel and calling an appliance guy..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, I forgot to tell you to remove the jumper wire from the old control board and put it in the exact same place as the new board. Unplug your washer from the wall outlet first before you do that.

Here's the control board for your model:
WH12X10475 Motor Control Board

Jake

Kevin1979

Premium Member
I did that.. i watched the video on the step by step and did it correctly.. im trying one last part and overnighted a probe sensor atc.. my last shot before i give up..fingers crossed.i already replaced the lid switch just incase.. should have a new washer by now..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you buy the control board at? The control board part link I posted does not have a video.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange, that control board should of fixed it.

Did the control board come in good shape? No shipping damage, no double tape on the box it came in?

A couple months ago I got a defective part from them, and called them immediately and they sent another new one and it worked perfect.

Jake

Kevin1979

Premium Member
No..was i perfect shape.. bubble wrapped... no damage..it worked at first.. but came back to the same peoblem.. idk..

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you already try to reset the motor?

This video tells you how:

Jake

Kevin1979

Premium Member
After the washer shut off mid-cycle thr motor was flashing a 10 code.. it said communication error.. so i did the motor reset and thats when i got the thermistor code on the diagnostic again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you can return the control board for a full refund, less shipping, you have multiple problems and its not worth fixing.

You will need to order the motor too if you wanted to fix it.

Jake

Last edited:

Kevin1979

Premium Member
Nope...not for a 8 yr old washer.. gave my best shot.. thanks for everything.. just got my return label for my parts.. on to the next model