GU1500XTKQ shut-off and popped breaker

flyboy

Premium Member
My "Quiet Partner IV" is really living up to it's name, now. Installed in 4/02, has worked OK until last week. Midway through a load, we smelled something burning, like an electrical smell, found the dishwasher off, and it had blown the breaker. Tried to reset once, popped again. Pulled the washer out, upon disconnecting the wiring, the black and white wires both had a brown stripe on them near the wire nuts. I tipped the washer to its side, but couldn't see anything noticably wrong ~ burned up. I expected to see the motor burnt somehow, but it all looks normal. Any idea where to start? It's kind of hard to troubleshoot when you can't get any power to it at all......

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The wire nuts on the incoming hardwire connection are ok in the metal junction box underneath the dishwasher?

Look for a wire touching the metal cabinet or melted into it.

Jake

flyboy

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I actually got to the root of the problem. The Electronic Assembly board was cooked, along with the fuse that is clipped onto it. It was charred on the underside, Whirlpool is sending out a tech rep to inspect it. I was on the phone yesterday with the warranty dept, was then transferred to the safety dept, and they said they won't send me a new board without first inspecting everything. I didn't realize how bad it could have been until I saw the rippled plastic that holds the electronic assembly inside the door, and the black charred remains falling from behind the electronic board. Glad I was home when it happened. Thanks for the help, I did download the Service Manual from your site, I appreciate it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good flyboy!:)

Glad to help.:)

Jake