FIXED GU1500XTKQ0 dishwasher springs intact but door falls open

jon_roanoke

Premium Member
Model Number
GU1500XTKQ0
Brand
Whirlpool
I have a Whirlpool GU1500 - the sticker is gone, but I think the full model number is GU1500XTKQ0 . The door just started falling open, unless it is fully closed, as if the springs were broken, but the springs on the sides feel like they intact. A part did fall out when I was feeling the tension on the,. It is rubber clip shaped like "c" but the open part of the "c" is very small. There is a picture at the below link. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I saw that part in your photo but I don't recognize it.

So both door springs are fine? What about the 2 bushings that connect to the door springs?

Here's what they look like:
Manufacturer part number WP8268990

Jake

jon_roanoke

Premium Member
both bushings and springs are fully intact and connected. door just flops open when handle is pulled. before I could open it an inch or two and it would stay where it was. Now it just falls fully open unless locked. I will try moving the springs further back on the rail they connect to and see what happens. Any other suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats very strange, if the springs and bushings are in tact then the door shouldn't drop, unless you notice one of the springs have sprung, look at them both closely, you may need to pull your dishwasher out a little to get a better view.

Jake

jon_roanoke

Premium Member
I pulled the dishwasher out and the springs and bushings looked fine. I moved the ends of the springs back a few notches on the rail where they connect on the dishwasher side and it seems to have solved the problem. I can now crack it open, to let the steam escape before unloading, without it dropping open. It is very strange as it happened all at one. It did not slowly loose its "springness", but one day it was there and the next day it was not. Seems to be working now though.....

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree, thats very out of the norm from what I'm used to seeing when a door just drops, most of the time its either a spring broke or a bushing broke.

Glad that fixed it for you.:)

Jake

pgotceitas

Premium Member
The real problem!

Jon and Jack,

I have the GU2500 Whirlpool model and the exact same thing happen to me! No broken springs or bushings. And adjusting the spring tension would never make my door work well at full open or when just cracked. I actually wasted money on new springs and bushings thinking they were weak or worn before I figured it out.

sooo, did you ever find something like this laying around on the floor and not know where it came from??

Its a friction sleeve that works with the spring to give it resistance so the door operates smoothly! And to think I threw the first one away...

Here is the part number. I can send you a picture of where it goes as the exploded parts view does not have an accurate picture. Let me know?

PART NUMBER: WP8268961

victonate

Thanks for the picture! I got the new "dampers" as the parts man called them. They don't even show up on the drawing details included with my dishwasher. Without your picture I wouldn't have been successful! Thanks! Dan

john0099adam

May 2, 2016

Whirlpool dishwasher door falls open without usual slight resistance.

I found this rubber part with one side open like a "C" (PART NUMBER: 8268961)
I do not know if it is broken (making the C gap) or just slipped out of place.
I also think that spring and bushing are OK since i found this part on the floor one morning.
I do not feel spring broken as I can feel it with the dishwasher still in place.

Can someone please help me understand where this rubber part (PART NUMBER: 8268961) goes?
Do I have to pull the dishwasher out to put this one or a new back in place?
Any reference to a You Tube video will help me understand better than just the description.

Thanks so much.

John Adam

roheid

Sorry the picture did not post...here they are...
View attachment 2691View attachment 2692
Well, I sure wish I had seen THIS before I ordered the springs! I just replaced them, but the door still kept falling open so I went online to do some more research. When I was pulling the dishwasher out, I saw a little black plastic thing laying under it and as soon as I saw the pic you posted, I realized what it was! I don't recall ever seeing the one from the right side and it's not under the dishwasher, but it's gone too. My dishwasher has a Kenmore tag on it, but I'm sure it's also made by whirlpool. thanks for the picture - it has helped immensely!