• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GU3200XTPS0 Heated dry blinking +17 times

alsontak

Premium Member
Model Number
GU3200XTPS0
Brand
Whirlpool
My whirlpool is almost 5.5 years old and has stopped working. It continously shows a "--" in the readout with a blinking "heated dry". if i press and hold cancel, heated dry stops blinking and "Normal" starts to blinks.

I've tried the reset (HD->Normal->Heated Dry....), but that does nothing. If i disconnect it, leaving it for more than 30 mins and re-plugging it, it starts up and shows "2" on the LCD read out and I can hear a motor running, but 10-15 seconds later, it stops and starts the blinking the "Heated dry" light again.

One thing to mention as well is that i found water when this happened.

Brett

Appliance Tech
Ok thank you. If you take the bottom panel off the the drain pump is attached to the right front of the main wash pump. Start the unit into drain and listen for the drain pump to come on. Also the drain pump should be get 120v use a volt meter to check. Let me know what you come up with.

Brett

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, do what Brett mentions, if that fails, then its your control panel thats bad.

Here's the control panel for your model you can order:
Manufacturer part number WP3385741

Jake

alsontak

Premium Member
Sorry for the late response guys and appreciate the prompt replies.

i am out of town and I guess my wife could not wait and she called an appliance guy. He had a spare control panel and he tried that, but that didnt work. He opened up the kick plate and tested a few things and said it's the main motor thats busted and since it's one unit, it has to be replaced in it's entirety even if a single wire inside it is burnt.

Does that make sense. he quoted me roughly $350 for parts and labour.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, most techs don't carry a spare control panel around as they make about a hundred different ones.

I don't know what to tell you, definitely don't spend the $350 on the motor assembly, not worth it, just go buy a new dishwasher for a little more than that.

Jake

alsontak

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I asked my wife and she said that the tech asked her for the model number when she booked the appointment and he said that he had a control panel in stock as he has seen a lot of them fail. but on trying the replacement one, it didnt fix the problem

So he took the kickplate out and tested a few things out before coming to that conclusion.

So with a 350ish repair cost, I'm seriously considering your recommendation on a new one...I'm not sure if this is the forum to discuss, but what brand would you recommend based on longetivity and low price. this is what I have found out so far.

Kitchenaid: Best in the market, but pricey.
Bosch: Real good, but pricey.
Fridgeaire: Stay away..but cheap
Whirlpool: well, what can I say. The fact that the heart of the dishwasher dies months after all waranty expires..not a good sign.
How is GE?

Suggestions? BTW, this site rocks...

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
KitchenAid and Maytag are Top Notch.:)

GE is ok, better then Frigidaire at least.:)

Bosch, LG, Samsung: Don't get me started on these foreign units.:) If you know what I mean.:)

Jake

alsontak

Premium Member
last question on this....If the technician replaced the control panel with a new one, is there a reset sequence to perform on the dishwasher to get this to work?

As I mentioned before, the technician relplaced the control panel, but it still continued to blink...I'm planning to shell out the $ to get a used or referb'd motor and fix it, unless you guys tell me that it's the control panel and that it requires a special wave of the hand for the unit to recognize that it's been changed.

TIA

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, On every dishwasher that I've run into with this blinking light issue, I've replaced the control panel and it fixed them all.:)

So I'm kinda leery about what that thech did.

So I'd say just get a new dishwasher, as I don't think a new motor would fix it.

Jake

alsontak

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Sorryto bring back an old thread. I made a small mistake and bought the control module instead of the control pad. The blinking still persists...however here is the weird thing:
Once I replaced the control module and turned on the dishwasher, everything worked till I started a cycle and then 10 mins later it failed and started blinking. However this time after about 3-4 hours of blinking, the dishwasher stopped blinking and lights became solid.
I hit cancel to drain a little bit of water from the previous incomplete cycle. After that finished, the lights started blinking again, but returned to normal a few minutes later.

I'm beginning to think that there is something loose rather that faulty. Could a bad control pad still cause this? Also noticed that the thermal fuse plastic clip (the one that clicks on the end) was broken. Perhaps the technician who looked at it last broke it by mistake? What does that do? Could that be at fault.

So far $180 in the hole with the control module...dont mind spending upto another $200 for the control pad to get this working (wife really likes this dishwasher).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will need a new control touchpad panel assembly.

Whats the model# of your dishwasher?

Click here to locate it.

Jake

alsontak

Premium Member
Thanks Jake...Can you confirm if this is black in colour. In most sites (that charge 180+ for this part) clearly state the dishwasher model and the color. But this site mentions nothing like that. Can you help a bit more please?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its the black one, trust me on this.:)

Jake