• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GUD24GSSJ0WW GE washer drive gears disengaged and grinding

dsilverline

Premium Member
Model Number
GUD24GSSJ0WW
Brand
GE
Hi,

This is for a GE laundry center. I've got a grinding sound as soon as the motor starts to spin (I believe I tested this in the agitate cycle). I opened the front panel and found that the drive gears were not staying meshed and grinding on each other. I replaced the belt and manually re-engaged the gears to ensure they fit properly then restarted the cycle. As soon as the motor started spinning the gears came apart and grinded on each other. I assume some part of the mechanism that is supposed to keep the top gear pushed down is failing? FYI, This is for a rental property that I own so "DIY budget" repair suggestions are certainly welcome haha

Thank You!

Attachments

• 20201104_165755.jpg
    20201104_165755.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201104_172136.jpg
    20201104_172136.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 11

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you take the belt off, does the transmission pulley move freely both ways?

Its possibly the transmission or actuator. I wasn't able to locate the service manual for this model.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#302 is the transmission
#307 is the actuator

Jake

dsilverline

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the quick reply! From what I saw on a youtube video about replacing the transmission, it looks like it takes long enough that it makes sense to just replace both that and the actuator at the same time while it's torn apart? Not sure if it spinned freely both ways. As the property is an hour away, I'm thinking I should just have both parts before I head back out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its would be best to replace both parts as they work together.

Jake