• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GW395LEPQ00 Whirlpool Oven (Bake and Broil) Having Trouble Lighting

saniaki

Premium Member
Model Number
GW395LEPQ00
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi,

Neither Bake oven nor Broil ignites on Whirpool Gold model GW395LEPQ00 . Gas flows very well and I can ignite Broil with a lighter (didn't try the Bake as I have to remove some parts).
All lighters on the stove are working very well and ignite them with no issue (so I guess spark module is not the source if the issue. Otherwise they the stove ignites won't work neither. Is that true?). Any idea why both igniters on Bake oven and Broiler stopped working?

Thanks very much,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Lets first ohm test the gas valve. You will need a multimeter to ohm test the gas valve.

Here's the gas valve for your model you can order, if needed:
WP9763716 Gas Valve

Its located at the very bottom of your range towards the back, so you'll need to pull your lower storage drawer out to access it, get a flashlight or droplight so you can see better under there.

Unplug or remove power from the range FIRST. Set the Ohm meter on RX300. Remove the three wires from the gas valve. The wire connectors are different sizes so they can be replaced in the same spot. The center terminal is the common terminal. Put one meter probe on the center terminal and touch one of the other terminals and then the other terminal. The meter should read 216 Ohms both times. If not, replace the gas valve.

TEST PROCEDURE
Solenoid Resistance Tests

1. Disconnect power from the range.
2. Set the ohmmeter to the R x 100 scale.
3. Touch the ohmmeter terminals to terminals 1 and 2 (Broil). The ohmmeter should read 216 Ω ±30.
4. Touch the ohmmeter terminals to terminals 3 and 2 (Bake). The ohmmeter should read 216 Ω ±30.

NOTE: Always check both solenoids. If one of the solenoids is defective, neither one will operate.

Jake

saniaki

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

When I put the meter on 2k it reads:
~214 for terminals 1 and 2
~217 for terminals 2 and 3

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then your gas valve is good.

Let's check the DSI Board.

Here's the spark module(DSI board) for your model:
Spark Module WPW10331686

When you click the link to it you will see a video on how to access it.

OK, here's the voltage pinouts for the DSI board. Check for 120 VAC from the bake and broil relays.

DSI Gas Range.jpg

If your in Canada, then you can order it here:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

saniaki

Premium Member
Thanks.

I just wanted to add something before checking the DSI board. Now, when I light the broil or bake with a lighter/match, it gets off after 5-10 minutes. Previously, I could light them using a match, close the oven door, and it was working fine keeping the fire on for a while. But, now, after 5-10 minutes it gets off for no reason.

I thought it might help to find the source of issue.

Sina

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Sina,

Still you will need to check the voltages to verify the DSI board is bad.

I have no clue about lighting with a match, as techs we don't do that, we have to take voltage readings.:)

Jake

saniaki

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Should the range be unplugged?
How about the DSI connecter? Should it be plugged into the DSI board? I mean the connector that is connected to J1 to J10 pins.

I read nothing for either of tests (DC and AC). The number on meter doesn't change at all.

Regards,
Sina

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it should be plugged in and set to BAKE.

At the DSI Board--->Touch the test leads to the J1 connector at terminals 4 (white) and 6 (red/white). The AC voltmeter should indicate 120 Volts AC. If not, then the electronic oven control is bad.

Here's the electronic oven control for your model:
Oven Control Board WP9760013

Jake

Last edited: