• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

GWE19JGLGFBB GE Refrigerator - ice maker floods freezer

Tysauce1986

Model Number
GWE19JGLGFBB
Brand
GE
I have a GE French door refrigerator. Model # GWE19JGLGFBB. When we first moved in, the ice maker seemed to function normally. Now that its winter, we dont use much ice. So we removed the ice bin and switched the ice maker to off. Any time the water is being supplied to the unit the fridge floods and freezes solid. Not sure if it's when we open the door and fill from the spout inside. Or if some is contacting the arm and it causes it to call for water. Were at a loss. Currently the supply valve is off and the misses cant get her filtered water. Can I isolate the freezer fill line and add a ball valve or bypass the freezer some how? Will removing the ice maker stop any flow of water? Honestly we would be fine if we didn't have an ice maker and just had the filtered water. I cant find any schematics for the unit anywhere and the service center has been no help dispite the warranty. Do I have any options? Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck for posting those.

If your ice maker is OFF and it keeps flooding inside, then unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet and if the water DOES NOT stop then your water inlet valve is the problem.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order:

If the water DOES stop when you unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet, then your ice maker is the problem.

Your model is listed in that service pointer, now let's verify your serial number.

--->Serial numbers: HL and prior--->Replace the icemaker with part number WR30X28689. Part number WR30X28689 has been replaced with part number WR30X30097.

Ice Maker Assembly WR30X30097

Let us know what you find.

Jake