Gx2fhdxvq03

slowlane37

Premium Member
Whirlpool GX2FHDXVQ03 - same water on floor problems except my water appears on right side front corner as you face fridge. Bought fridge from sears scratch and dent in carrollton texas3 12/10/10. Leakage began within 3rd month. At time vinyl floors, just wiped up tbought ice maker so turned off water to fridge. Discovered leaks continued and found freezer floor with a solid 3/8-1/2 inch thick plate of ice much later. Opted not to contact service repair because no sign of intelligent life with operators who'll only say $150 just to get svc man to show up. BESIDES THE PROBLEM IS A DESIGN FLAW FOLKS ! Finding a clever way to correct a faulty design only means its now a maintenace item you'll have forever. Vacuuming coils is simple. Dismantleing freezer compartment to access and visibly SEE whats happening is a testament to this designs failure - apparently affecting several mfrs - Maytag and Whirlpool incnuded. Compared to the FLAWLESS 23 years of service my previous Whirlpool side by side provided -which I'm inclined this leak problem is associated with the POS 'French Door' design the wife had to have. Whole design is poorly characterized - 'style'and changes frequently carry undesirable consequences. French doors that must be carefully checked for full closure - kids WONT DO THIS -and a forever leaking problem. What to do. Put fridge inside washer pan, remove ice sheet from floor of. Freezer quarterly, defrost like my grandmother did in early 70s every 6-12 monthes. Dumb. Oh yeah. Why such a big deal now, put $8k tongue and groove hand scraped wood floors everwhere including kitchen. Cant tolerate leaks now.

Last edited:

slowlane37

Premium Member
Root issue IMO - based on teardown to reveal coil (perverslely involved since i never had to do this with previous whirlpool side by side in 23 years) fridge compartment drains in bottom rear right and left sides of fridge compartment are OPEN HOLES to the freezer 15 inches above evaporator pan where any spilled liquid / moisture is "desired" (not designed) to go. What happens is only a fraction of liquid poured thru fridge drain goes into pan 15 inches below. At least half cascades down the SIDES of the freezer walls and pools in the floor of freezer compartment. Over time the freezer floor is full of ice, wont take any more water and water then cascades onto floor. Undoubtedly opening closing fridge door permits warmer more humid kitchen air to condense inside fridge walls that eventually drains and freezes to freezer floor then kitchen floor. Condensate collection pan at fridge rear holds EXACTLY 4.5 cups water. If exceeded, or fan that blows on this pool stops to evaporate water (what a kluge) stops working again hello water on floor. Horrible design. May go buy another side by side just to get predictable operation & zero maint back and kiss the $1k on this ice box goodbye. Before that happens though I'll post this whole story on FaceBook so its more easily found. Defrost cycles and freezing of 3/8 inch drain tube also factors. Maint CAN be performed by using hot water in turkey baster and flexible line to clear evap drain from fridge rear. Definately DISCARD rubber nipple from drain. Gently move plastic manifold aside to access drain outlet. 'Baste until clear' like you would any appliance built in 2010. Then use baster to empty evap pan.

Last edited: