GZ25FSRXYY0 Whirlpool side by side, Icemaker line keeps freezing on top

jlp4345

Premium Member
Model Number
GZ25FSRXYY0
Brand
Whirlpool
I am a licensed plumber and have been trying to help a customer repair his refrigerator. He has a Whirlpool side by side fridge, with the freezer drawers in the bottom. The icemaker is located in the top left hand corner in this little enclosed box. He said he's had this fridge a little over a year but it has never made ice good, just a few cubes if at all. I originally found his water pressure to be terrible, so I thought that was the problem. He had a 1/4 inch line ran under house a long way with a piercing valve. I cut all that out and ran him a dedicated 1/2 inch line with standard cut off to back of fridge and increased the pressure.

I was thinking problem solved, but a week later he calls and says it's still not making ice. To make a long story short, I've replaced the water inlet valve, as well as the icemaker itself, and I have thawed out the plastic 1/4 inch water line that's actually on top of the fridge inside this little plastic cover. Every time I do this it will make a few cubes, not much at all, maybe 8 small cubes, but then won't do anything else. I don't understand it. Sometimes I go back and the line on top is frozen up inside with ice again, sometimes not, but either way it's not making ice. The only thing left that I can think of is the fridge has 2 control boards located in the back of the fridge behind a cover. I was thinking this could be bad, I don't know. I can run a jumper wire from N to M on the icemaker and manually put it in harvest mode and it sends water and makes the cubes but even doing that the cubes are few and small.

Any suggestions of anything I could try or may be overlooking? And any ideas on why line going into the icemaker that sits on top of the Whirlpool inside this little plastic box keeps freezing from time to time? I even tried putting insulation inside the plastic box with the line, but it still froze up inside the line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
jlp4345 said:
I have thawed out the plastic 1/4 inch water line that's actually on top of the fridge inside this little plastic cover. Every time I do this it will make a few cubes,
This is indicitive of a leaking water valve. Sounds like either too much pressure or new valve needs to be exchanged for a replacement.

Water Inlet W10498990 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Water Inlet Valve W10349187 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree with Rick.

Which water inlet valve did you replace? There are two of them.

The 2nd water inlet valve Rick posted goes inside, watch this video below:

[video=youtube;YqypD_F3HvE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqypD_F3HvE[/video]

Also how is the water pressure at the front water dispenser?

Also when was the last time the water filter was replaced? That will make decreased water pressure as well if its been over a year that it hasn't been replaced.:)

Here's the water filter for this model you can order:
Water Filter UKF8001 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

[video=youtube;Kg7sX8MzhxM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg7sX8MzhxM[/video]

Jake

jlp4345

Premium Member
I replaced the first inlet valve at the back, not the one inside. I bet that's the one leaking by and causing that line to freeze. I've replaced the filter already. I will order that second inlet valve and see if that does it. Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.
Jason

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jason sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake