• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Haier HF50CM23NW Stand Alone Chest Freezer not turning on when plugged in

b1gdog83

Premium Member
Model Number
HF50CM23NW
I have a chest freezer ( Haier HF50CM23NW) that is not turning on when plugged in. Any trouble shooting ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No lights come on or nothing? Have you confirmed your getting 120 volts at the wall outlet its plugged into?

Jake

b1gdog83

Premium Member
No lights come on and I'm not sure if there is a light to even come on. Wall socket is good. When I plug it in I hear a click a few seconds after its plugged in. Could it be a relay? Someone gave me this freezer and he thinks a repair guy that looked at it said it might be a faulty relay.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
First, unplug it from the wall outlet, then ohm test the temperature control thermostat for continuity. If you get no continuity it will never send 120 volts to the compressor start relay to make the compressor start.

Here's the temperature control thermostat for this model:
Thermostat WR09X27830

It's in-stock here: WR09X27830

Jake

b1gdog83

Premium Member
Where should I place my probes from my meter on to check?

Attachments

• 609BDA12-4007-41F1-8E7E-3B8E1D337728.jpeg
    609BDA12-4007-41F1-8E7E-3B8E1D337728.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 21

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Across the 2 black wires.

Jake

b1gdog83

Premium Member
There is continuity across the 2 black wires. That doesnt seem to be the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check to see if you are getting 120 volts at those 2 wires, when you plug in the freezer.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then its possibly a bad compressor start relay, but I don't see one listed for this model, probably been discontinued.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Donn2390

Premium Member
I have a Haier HCM050WA Chest Freezer that works intermittently. It will freeze up and then defrosts. It does NOT have a defrost cycle. Sometimes it will work for days, some times just hours. The evaporator coils are concealed so can't be cleaned
I suspect the thermostat but the only test I can find is continuity, It can't be tested for continuity if it works some times. I would think the fact that it sometimes works properly would eliminates the other components such as compressor, ballast, starter, etc. I'm left with guessing and hoping it's the temp control, or tossing and replacing the freezer.
I hate to spend money on a guess, any suggestions on why it might work sometimes? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its fairly simple, if when it defrosts you hear nothing running? Like its dead silent? If so, unplug it from the wall outlet, then ohm test the temperature control thermostat for continuity, like I mentioned above.:)

Here's the temperature control thermostat for your model:
WR09X10134 Cold Control

Jake

b1gdog83

Premium Member
Just to follow up on my issue after calling Haier/GE they sent me the part for free and after putting the new part in its fixed. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @b1gdog83 glad to hear the new overload kit fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Donn2390

Premium Member
Now when set to lowest setting it's -20 degrees in the freezer, and set at the highest setting it's about 0. In other words there is very little adjustment between the highest and the lowest, and 0 is as warm as it gets. Will having it set that low have it running constantly, using too much power and excessive compressor wear.?? I'm surmising the reason it has so little temp range is due to the extra long sensor tube sensing ambient warmer air as it rests in the compressor areea, outside of the freezer compartment. I'm guessing the tube contains fluid of some kind so shortening it would destroy the device, so I perhaps I need some kind of insulation to rap the tubing with.
Maybe there is no problem, I just thought the temp range adjustment should be greater, and 0 at the warmest setting didn't seem right.
I appreciate your help, TY....

Donn2390

Premium Member
For some reason, the first half of my reply didn't post. I replaced the cold control with a new controller, same part number, the difference being the sensor tube is considerably longer and most of it is coiled up in the compressor area. It works good now, just wondering if there should be more adjustment range.