HDA3600D00BB Dishwasher not fully draining - standing water

Caitie Mayhugh

Premium Member
Model Number
HDA3600D00BB
Brand
Hotpoint
Hi,

My Hotpoint dishwasher is just over a year old. Yesterday I cleaned out the drain screen/filter and the the float assembly as i had noticed a smell and some mold. Other than that I cleaned it with a little vinegar and baking soda. Afterwards I went to run it and it didn't fully drain. When it is supposed to be draining I can hear a buzz or hum, but it doesn't have the normal water evacuating sound. What could I have done wrong? I removed the 2 screws that hold the filter down, rinsed filter and put back into place. I removed the one screw that holds the float assembly down rinsed and put back. Any ideas are welcome. I am just out of warranty and of course, didn't extend it.

- Caitie

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Caitie,

Have you checked the drain hose to the disposal for a clog?

On your model you have a drain solenoid that opens the pump flapper for it to drain.

Here's the pump parts diagram for your model: Parts for Hot Point HDA3600D00BB / : Motor-Pump Mechanism Parts

#493 is the drain solenoid, #418 is the pump flapper that the solenoid opens.

If you can get a flashlight and watch the solenoid to see if it moves the flapper when it goes into a drain cycle. And also you can touch the solenoid and see if you feel it humming and warm.

Also try to move the flapper up and down to see if it moves freely.

The plastic flapper lever in the drain solenoid should be in the UP position for wash and DOWN for drain.

Here's the drain solenoid kit for your model:
Drain Solenoid Kit WD21X10268 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to access the drain solenoid and flapper lever:

[video=youtube;Jiy1-XRI7-o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiy1-XRI7-o[/video]

Jake

Caitie Mayhugh

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for your response. I checked the drain line and that wasn't the problem. I can see the solenoid move down when the drain cycle is going (but not actually draining) and I hear a humming sound.

I assume some amount of water would have to be draining as it's not overflowing.

- Caitie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that humming sound is likely coming from your motor, which means your motor won't start turning thus it can't drain, so either you have a bad bearing in your motor causing it not to start turning or you have something stuck in your pump causing the motor not to start turning.

You'll likely need to pull the pump/motor assembly out and see if anything is in the pump jamming up the motor.

Here's the pump/motor assembly for your model:
Pump and Motor Assembly WD26X10051 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy.

Watch this video to access the pump/motor assembly:

[video=youtube;fnrqQxkgbOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrqQxkgbOg[/video]

Jake

Caitie Mayhugh

Premium Member
I had another plumbing problem come up and take over for awhile, but now I am back to this problem.

I can see the little silver fan spinning on the motor. Would this mean the motor is working? Or is this only a fan?

- Caitie Mayhugh

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The fan is connected to the motor shaft, its possibly that the motor is stripping on the other side where the impeller forces the water through the spray arms, if when its in the wash cycle you see the motor fan turning but don't hear water splashing in the tub, then yes, the motor is stripped on the other side, then you would need to order a new motor.

When its in the drain cycle you would hear the motor running and not just the motor fan, there is a big difference in sound between the two.

Jake

Caitie Mayhugh

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake!

Is it possible to just buy the motor? The link that you gave me says pump and motor assembly and looks like it has the solenoid and other things attached that I don't need. If I could save money by only buying the motor that would be great.

Thanks!

- Caitie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No Caitie, It only shows the motor coming with those parts attached, not separate.

Jake

Caitie Mayhugh

Premium Member
Hi, Jake!

I put the new motor on and I ran it twice with no dishes. It drained fine. So last night I loaded it with dishes and went to bed. I woke up to water on my floor that seemed to have come from it overflowing and dirty standing water at the bottom of the dishwasher. What could have went wrong?

- Caitie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange Caitie, I really don't know now, I'm puzzled. You'll likely need to contact Hotpoint to come out and see what's going on.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's possible, but it could be something else as well, that's why at this point its best to have a tech. come out to see what's going on.

Jake