HE4 Dryer 110.85872401

J-Dub

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I am having problems with both units at the current time. The dryer is drying clothes but when I set it to a normal drying preset it always stops drying before the clothes are completely dry. They will be slightly damp when it shuts off. I have been doing timed dry cycles to circumvent this. Generally I have to set the timed cycle for 65-80 minutes to get the clothes completely dry. I have cleaned out the duct work and dryer to no avail.

The washer is giving me the F6 code. I have unplugged for several minutes and then plugged back in and it will work for a few days up to a month or so and then give the error again. It appears it always triggers the error when it gets to the drain and spin cycle. Any idea on what I should be looking for on both?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Still sounds like you have a vent restriction, normal dry times should be no longer than 70 minutes.

Pull the dryer out from the wall, then remove the exhaust hose from the back of it, then dry a load with no exhaust on it and post the results.

I'm moving the washer to the washer forum, here is your thread for that one:

Jake

J-Dub

Premium Member
Theres a good amount of airflow with the vent line removed. It was apparent the air coming out was being heated but it felt luke warm after about 1-2 minutes of running. Not sure if this is normal or if it takes longer to heat up?

J-Dub

Premium Member
Not sure if it's noteworthy or not but the clothes inside the dryer felt warmer than the air coming out of the vent.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, unplug the dryer, then remove the lower access panel below the door, then remove the lint filter, then remove the lint duct by removing the screws, then check your lint duct for lint clogging it up, also check the blower wheel to make sure no lint is clogging that either.

If that all checks good, then check your heating element. Keep the dryer unplugged while checking that.

Manufacturer part#WP3387747

Jake

J-Dub

Premium Member
So another piece of information which it appears I left out is that when choosing a preset drying option. It appears the dryer shuts off before the cycle is finished but near the end which makes me think there is some type of moisture meter??? shutting the dryer off before the clothes are fully dried.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but you said on timed dry it still takes too long to dry, so do what I mentioned.

Jake

J-Dub

Premium Member
Yes, but you said on timed dry it still takes too long to dry, so do what I mentioned.

Jake
Took it apart and cleaned the whole thing out. The element gave me a reading between 10.6-11. After putting everything back together I ran a load and it got closer to being dry before shutting itself off but still damp. I think it ran for about 50 minutes so I'd guess 5-10 more and it would have been clean. I've tested the sensors though and don't get any resistance which the tech sheet says is the desired outcome. Ideas?!?!?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok were getting there.

Now test your thermistor with a multimeter, it sits right next to the thermal fuse on your blower wheel housing. It works on temperature, and should read about 10,000 (10K) ohms at room temperature. MAKE SURE the machine stays unplugged while testing it.

Manufacturer part number WP8577274

Video Included in part link.

Jake

J-Dub

Premium Member
It seems like there may be enough room to replace this part without taking the whole dryer apart. I've seen it through the access panel and it's right up front. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There should be enough room to change it once you remove the lint filter duct assembly, I use a small rachet to remove the screws on the thermistor. Its a 1/4" socket you will need on a small rachet.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That seems a bit high, should be about 10,000 ohms at room temperature + or - 5%

Jake

J-Dub

Premium Member
That seems a bit high, should be about 10,000 ohms at room temperature + or - 5%

Jake
It's in my basement which is right aroun 68-70 degrees. Would this be enOugh of a difference to make it shut off before its done drying?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it most likely would.

Jake

J-Dub

Premium Member
So I replaced this part and now it actually shuts off automatically when the clothes are more damp than they were before I changed the part. Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, ok well there's only one more part that would cause this, that would be your main control board.

Here's the main control board for your model you can order:

Here is the online repair manual for the Whirlpool Duet dryer: https://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/Duetdry.pdf
Give it time to download.

It shows how to get access to the control board on page 4-2 through 4-4.

Unplug or turn the breaker off to your dryer first.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its funny you mentioned that, when I went to watch the Monday night football game I just realized I forgot to mention that to you, its tough getting old.:)

I'd first try to clean the moisture sensor bar with rubbing alcohol and see if that makes a difference.

Its located under the filter housing inside the door, its #34 here:
K0410034-00003.png

Jake