• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

heat under dispenser tray - whirpool

malimx6

Premium Member
Model Number
gd22dfxfw01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hello,

I have a side by side Whirpool fridge/freezer model# gd22dfxfw01. It is very hot under the dispenser tray to the touch. We noticed this in last couple of months but the heat was never there before as we regularly take the tray out to clean it. Other than that, fridge works fine. We clean it in the back once in a while. We do not have any pets and house is clean, therefore when we clean it there is very little dust. We also haven't noticed heat in any other parts of the fridge.
Could someone please help diagnose the issue?

Thank you!!

malimx6

Premium Member
i'm confused. isn't a chute above the dispenser? heat is at the bottom of despenser where the tray is.
Do i have to change a certain part (the one you attached)? how complicated is it to change it?
also, what happens if it doesn't get changed?

Thank you for your help!!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
i'm confused. isn't a chute above the dispenser?
The whole things is the dispensor.

heat is at the bottom of despenser where the tray is.
Yes, often to eliminate any drips from the tray area....but the heater often went all over the dispensor...EG:

Dispenser-Housing-Heater-483058--01136980.jpg

Do i have to change a certain part (the one you attached)?
That one was looked up by your model#, but before changing anything I'd confirm with WLP that kit is needed if you disconnect the heat like mentioned ( "heater no longer needed" ).

how complicated is it to change it?
Definetly not rocket science ;)

what happens if it doesn't get changed?
Unknown.
I was surprised to not see a heater on the parts breakdown and that is when I found that kit mentioning a heater.

jeff.

malimx6

Premium Member
Jeff, thank you for your reply again. I think I understand now.
Now, to explain about the heat or heater, it was never there before. We have this fridge for 13 years now and we noticed it in last couple of months. We remove the tray (from pic 2, part#9 that you posted earlier) to clean and there was never any heat there. Right now it's hot, you can't keep your hand there for more than few seconds. How did we realize that? It's a white fridge and plast in that area is starting to turn yellow from the heat. So heater was never there before...unless it never worked and just started working after 13 years LOL
Any thoughts what could cause this? Should I contact Whirpool directly and ask them for their opinion?

Thanks!!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Nope, odd problem that is has recently started on it's own. Possible the heater has shorted and only a section is working....overtime. I'd try accessing the dispensor and clipping the wires for the heater to see what happens.

jeff.

malimx6

Premium Member
Thank you again for your response.
How do I take it apart? Is it done from the front? How do I take the front bazel (?) plastic off?
I don't care about a heater, never knew it existed and I think it's useless because it's just easer to wipe the tray instead.