• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Help fixing ice dispenser, Kenmore 106.58146801

jmball

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi! I registered for the forum because I needed help (clearly), and I was impressed by the knowledge & helpfulness I saw here. I didn't see a thread that specifically addressed my problem, but I searched around and got a lot of pointers from related threads.

So: We just bought a house with a Kenmore Coldspot 106.58146801 refrigerator/freezer, and the ice dispenser doesn't work (though it seems the ice maker is fine). I think the motor is out, because pressing the ice lever does turn on the light, but there is no noise and nothing turns in the ice container. When I pulled out the container, the bottom was pretty frozen over, so it wouldn't surprise me if the motor burned out under the load at some point. Oh, also: Water dispenses just fine.

I've found this replacement motor (model #AP5985114) that I think should be compatible, but I wanted to come here first to find out if I'm on the right track and/or if there's anything else I should check first. Thanks in advance!

p.s., the required info indicates the age is 10+ years, but the Mfr date is 2009 (so, not much more than 10...)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, you have 2 micro switches, 1 micro switch for the water and 1 micro switch for the ice, the micro switch for the ice should be on the left side of that bracket.

Look at this diagram:
(click to enlarge)
K0906248-00008.png

The micro switches are #14 that mount on the control bracket #15, so I'd first check that next to make sure those switches are working and the support pins they mount into are not broken, those support pins are very common for breaking.

If you do find the little bracket support pins broken, then you found the problem and you can order the bracket here:
W10728484 Bracket

Watch this video to access it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

jmball

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the information. While the mounting pins for the ice dispenser switch are a little bent and the switch itself isn't exactly in the ideal spot, pressing the switch does turn on the light in the water/ice dispensing bay on the front of the door (and pushing the ice dispensing lever does press the switch, although it doesn't feel as "right" as for the water side), so I figured the switch was OK. However, even if that's not the problem, I might replace the whole bracket anyway to buy more time from the whole unit.

Oh! Also: I noticed that the black piston attached to the ice dispenser trapdoor pushes in easily, but only lets it close very slowly (maybe up to 5 seconds). Is that normal?

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it suppose to close slowly, that's normal.

As a test you can press the ice dispenser switch and see if the auger motor runs, make sure the door is closed first to do that.:)

If the auger motor runs when you press the ice dispenser switch, then all you need is that bracket.

Jake

jmball

Premium Member
Yeah, I tried pressing the switch both using the ice door lever and with a screwdriver while I had the front panel removed (with the header still connected). No auger motion with or without the door closed. No noise either. Light turns on, though.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, now that you said that: Broken/frayed wires comes to mind on this model, where the wire harness goes into the freezer door.

(click to enlarge)
FREEZER DOOR - b4.jpg

Lots of members have found frayed and broken wires causing the auger motor or ice maker to be dead. Remove your bottom kickplate grille, Remove the black wire harness loom too, broken wires can be underneath it.

Another member was having a similar problem here: FIXED: GSF26C4EXY02 Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Problem Look at his post #6 he found frayed and broken wires underneath the freezer door.

Here's another one with the same thing about the frayed and broken wires: FIXED: 106.51173310 Kenmore elite ice maker not working - no led light

Here's another: FIXED: Whirlpool WSF26C2EXF01 Door Icemaker Not Working

Let us know what you find.

Jake

jmball

Premium Member
Ok, this is all good info. I'm going back to the house this afternoon, so I'll bring my multimeter as well this time. I'll let you know how it goes.

jmball

Premium Member
I looked at the wiring like you suggested. The braided loom runs deeper into the freezer door, so I will have to cut it and/or remove part of the door if I want to see deeper. From what I can see/feel, the wires seem OK to me (they feel intact, the insulation doesn't seem brittle). I could do an electrical test for a better check if I have some help knowing what points to check. I can crack into the door if needed but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Attachments

• im1.jpg
    im1.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 23
  • im2.jpg
    im2.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 22
  • im3.jpg
    im3.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 25

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, the wire cuts are usually just at the bottom of the freezer door, not inside the door.

Jake