• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)
  • Important Announcement

    It's with sad news to announce that our site owner, Jake, has passed away. You can read the details here.

Help! Microwave keeps blowing fuses. | GE Monogram ZE2160SF04


Premium Member
Dec 23, 2022
Model Number
More than 10 years
Hello, my microwave dies after use. It started recently (within the last week). Where it initially started where after microwaving something for a minute or 2, the microwave dies and the screen is dark.

I got the fuse replaced by buying a new one at my local hardware store and the associate confirmed that the fuse blown with a volt meter. I bought the correct fuse size. I used a Bussmann 20 AMP microwave fuse 1/4” x 1-1/4”. In total, the microwave blown 2 fuses now. And it was used under a dozen times before it died completely again.

I’ve had this microwave since 2008 and I’ve had the motherboard and door switch replaced in the past by a GE technician.

Here’s a photo of my model # from the inside of my microwave attached. Is there anything else I can do to try and fix it myself?

Thank you.
When exactly does the fuse blow, as soon as the door is closed, as soon as the Start button is pressed, in the middle of cooking? It is a clue as to the possible cause.

Dan O.
In the middle of cooking; nobody presses any buttons to stop it before it goes dark. It works fine for a minute or two. But the microwave goes dark (inside (light) and outside (the screen)) before opening the door.
In the middle of cooking

Check the connections of the fuse holder, both the wires and the fuse itself. A poor connection generates heat which will in turn burn out the fuse prematurely. Look for any discoloration on the terminals.

Someone could also check the HV transformer windings for a short to ground. It could cause excessive amperage draw and trip the fuse. Also look for signs of discoloration or burning at the wire connections.

LINK > WB27X10888 HV Transformer

The door switches might also be inspected. While they'd usually cause the fuse to blow as soon as the door is opened or closed, I have heard of cases they can fail to function properly while in operation like shown in this video.

Dan O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Support Our Site

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation, please consider making a donation.