• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Help needed identifying this circa 1988 GE 24" electric range

tantivy

Premium Member
Model Number
Unknown
Brand
GE
Hi all, this circa 1988 24" electric range has been working fine despite wear and tear but needs a broiler element. It's at a remote site so repair is preferable to replacing the range, especially since I'm fairly certain the outlet is 3 prong. The model plate wasn't visible to the person looking so I assume it is under a panel. The broiler element wires screw to the terminals rather than clips. Can anyone help identify it? Thanks

20191109_180625.jpg
20191014_125251.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I doubt anyone can identify what model GE just by looking at the machine. Even if you had the model number there's a good chance the elements have been discontinued. However all is not lost. Any broil element for a 24" range will probably work. The basic rule is 2" from the sides and 1" from the door. The two element ends that go through the back wall can't be too long or they will touch the back panel. A new element can be bent into shape to match the original as long as voltage has never been applied to the element. You can replace the wire ends if the new one uses spade terminals instead of ring terminals.

That being said, I don't see any obvious "bubbling" on the element. Of course I can't see the entire element. It's more common for one of the wires to burn off the element end. Don't go through the process of trying to find one until you're sure it's the element that's bad.
It's at a remote site so repair is preferable to replacing the range,
If you're going to repair a 30 year old range be prepared to make more than one trip to fix it.
I'm fairly certain the outlet is 3 prong
A three prong cord will work on a range that uses a four prong cord. Transfer the center brass grounding strap to the new range then connect your three prong cord.
3 and 4 wire.jpg

The model plate wasn't visible to the person looking
On those older GE ranges the model tag is under the top. The top just lifts up at the front like a car hood.

tantivy

Premium Member
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Rick. It's been a while since I've seen a range where the plate is under the cooktop so I will see if it can be found. There's voltage to the broiler element and the wires are attached. It's probably time to update the range, I just have that feeling that a 30 year old stove might give me another 30 years, while a new one might give me 5 based on current quality. Regards

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Since you appear to be in Canada, a common location for the model number tag is under the fuse cover at the top of, or at the base of, the rear console.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

That looks like a common broil element around here. You can likely take it to a local appliance parts depot to get a replacement. If you locate the model number I might be able to look up its part number so you can call around.

I wouldn't think of replacing a range for just that!

Dan O.