FIXED Help us pick a new dishwasher

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Model Number
ANY
Brand
-major brand-
Hey, our dishwasher is on its last legs and we're about to look at new ones down at Sears. Not a portable -- an under-the-counter permanent installation. What should we be looking for? And from a repairman's standpoint, which models should we steer away from? (If your Sears gig prevents you from giving us a candid anwer, please just say so.) Great site. Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The Top Dishwashers i recommend, as far as the least service calls i see, are as follows:

Maytag
Whirlpool
Sears Kenmore(made by Whirlpool)model# starts with 665.
Kitchen Aid
G.E.
Frigidaire

Hope this helps.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your Welcome, Anytime.:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
We have had many problems with Bosch.

They are the hardest dishwashers to work on. You have to pull the whole machine out to change the pump and motor, and on other dishwashers you don't have to.

Jake

G

We have a bosch dishwasher that is not even two years old and it is staining down the inside of the door, originating from the soap dispenser. It is either the soap or the glass rinse we add. It looks lke heck, I'm not sure if it is hurting anything. Any fixes?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

No model# posted.....but a copy from something else with a SS liner that may help....

*there was not enough water to dilute the detergent, which caused a chemical burn. But they said the problem can be caused by WASHING THE DISHES too much before putting them in the dishwasher! The grease etc. is necessary to "use up" the detergent and keep it from damaging the steel.*

*Chemical damage to silverware and dishes are very common in the appliance industry when the detergent is not diluted enough with water and/or the detergent does not have anything to disolve other than metals and glass. The worse thing a customer can do is prewash the dishes by hand before they are placed in a dishwasher.

Place some powered detergent and some water in your hand eor awhile, and it will not take long to understand why the detergent is so good at dissolving organic matter and damaging other material as well.*

Food for thought ;)

jeff.

goes211

Premium Member
Jump forward 6 or so years.

Would your recommended dishwasher list be the same? And is your list in order of the least service calls (meaning Maytag would be the best)? We're really struggling with our decision and would appreciate any suggestions!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would have to move Maytag down a notch or 2, since 2004 there have been many issues with the control panels on them failing.

There have been some control panel issues with Whirlpool, Kenmore 665 and KitchenAid, but not to the extent of Maytag.

Whirlpool bought out Maytag, and have been seeing far less issues as of late.

Jake

baltimoreguy

I purchased, but have not yet picked up a Frigidaire FGHD2433KB, so I can still change my mind, but I have read some really bad reviews on this particular model, which sucks because it has a lot of nice features for the price($400). Are these really as bad as people are saying with the motor problem? If so, what would you recommend for a replacement? I'm looking for something less than $450, and it has to be quiet, and have the wine glass holders. It would also be nice if it had some flexibility as far as fold down racks, and silverware cups with lids to keep small items from flying all over the place.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its hard to say, usually Frigidaire doesn't hold up to well if you have a lot of family members and its running daily or many times a day.

But if its just you or you and your wife, then it should be fine.

Jake

BRnPA

Premium Member
Fix vs. Buy a New One...

Jake,

I'm in the same boat. My Kenmore 665.16882 motor is dying. You posted last week the repair (thank you!) but I'm trying to decide on whether to spend the $200 to fix this one (motor, and water lead which I need to track down) or spend $500 or so for a new one. We went to Sears last night and I'm sad to say that the technology hasn't evolved much since I bought my dishwasher back in 2001. Most have filters instead of choppers to cut down on the noise but the construction seems lest robust at that price point compared to what I currently have. I'm inclined to fix the one I have rather than buy something that doesn't seem as good. What are your thoughts? What's the average life-span of the older 665 Kenmores (I've read that they have some issues with the electrics on the control panel going out over time)?

Thanks,

Bill R.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bill,

The average life of dishwashers now is only 8-12 years.

Usually the rule of thumb is: if you run the dishwasher once a day or many times a day its best to get the new dishwasher, if you only use it a few times a week or less then fix yours.

Jake

BRnPA

Premium Member
Bought a new one...

Jake,

I ended up buying a Kenmore 1326 (got it for $550 with coupon) and installed it myself. Really quiet and cleans amazingly. No chopper since it has the new filter-based system, which works for me because I always pre-rinse before the dishes go in. Interestingly, the price I paid is about what I paid 10 years ago for the Kenmore that just died and I got more value: stainless steel interior, much less noise, and the "turbozone" scrubbers which really do work (they took off some stubborn baked-on cheese perfectly). Thanks for your advice!

Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats a good one Bill, great price too.:)

Jake

mitsor

Premium Member
Jake - We are trading out our Kenmore 665.13963K012 that we bought last summer because we have already required three service calls. I really want to make a better choice this time. We are a family of 5 and run the dishwasher at least every other day. I'm hesitant to even consider another Kenmore. Was planning to look at Kitchenaid (which we had prior to this for 11 years no problems), Whirlpool and Maytag. The service tech who came to our house last time said the two things he recommends is to look for a dishwasher with a self-cleaning filter and one with an exposed heating element. Would you agree? He also mentioned the "665" lines but as I look online at model numbers, I'm not seeing any of those.

The one I am looking at right now is Kitchenaid KUDC10FXSS

Just wondering if you have any other advice on specific units to consider, what to look for, etc. My only requirements are stainless steel and less than $1000.
thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The 665 ones are the Kenmore dishwashers like you have now, so forget that since you are getting rid of yours.

Yes, that KitchenAid one is very good.

Jake

irau

Premium Member
Jake a question for you . . . I have a problem with the installation opening for my dishwasher. There is a water drain pipe at the back wall of the opening that can not be removed and I need to work around. It encroaches on the space by about 5 inches and it is about 3 or 4 inches in height. My old model dishwasher was able to accommodate it because there enough of a gap at the bottom of the cabinet. I notice the new models seem to not have any room at the back end. I've looked at both the Kenmore and Bosch models and the back of the cabinets go almost to the floor. Is anyone aware of any new dishwashers where the cabinets are not as deep (20-22 inches) or where the back of the cabinet has at least a 4 inch gap at the bottom end? I'm ready to look at anything that might work for me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is way outa my league, I have no idea other than you'll need a contractor to modify your existing dishwasher opening space so a new one will fit properly.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.