Help w/ LG Dehumidifier Disassembly

Spinman

Premium Member
Model Number
LHD65EL
Brand
LG
Didn't see a forum for dehumidifier questions - so hope I can sneak this into the window & room air conditioner section.

Have a 5 year old LG Dehumidifier - model LDH65EL. When I plug it in, the compressor starts and the electronic controls display and work properly - but no water is extracted.

Looking closer - I see that the fan motor is not running. I would like to remove the motor and check to see if the motor has failed (which I assume it has - vs - the electronic controls are not turning the fan on).

I did not see any frost on the coils when I tested it earlier this year (did not look closely at the time - air temperature was in the high 50's) - but I'm assuming that the compressor would not run if there was a leak or the freon was low. Thus, I'm back to the theory that if I replace the fan motor to get air circulating - that will go a long way in putting the unit back into service.

1) Current problem - I'm stumped on how to remove the front digital control panel in order to remove the surrounding metal case and gain access to the internal components. I've removed all obvious and visible screws - but nothing about this unit makes any sense. How do I pop off the control panel?

Thanks -

Last edited:

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
:eek: If the fan stopped but compressor ran the whole thing would frost up.

Spinman

Premium Member
I remember the instructions saying that the unit would not remove moisture from the air if the ambient temperature was less than 65 degrees. Don't know why - I have another unit from a different manufacturer that works quite well in colder temperatures.

On 2nd thought - perhaps the closed system is open - when I tipped the unit on its side to remove some screws and then righted it - there was a small amount of yellow oil dripping out of the drain tube.

Looks like a candidate for replacment...

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
I remember the instructions saying that the unit would not remove moisture from the air if the ambient temperature was less than 65 degrees. Don't know why - I have another unit from a different manufacturer that works quite well in colder temperatures.

On 2nd thought - perhaps the closed system is open - when I tipped the unit on its side to remove some screws and then righted it - there was a small amount of yellow oil dripping out of the drain tube.

Looks like a candidate for replacment...
:( Sought of stinks don't it.