Help with 1956 Philco Starflight electric range?

chapstickmeg

Premium Member
Model Number
SS3077
Hi, all. I've become the owner of a 1956 (I think) Philco Starflight. It still works, but the heating elements on the four burners and in the oven are unreliable and heat unevenly. I’ve called a few local appliance places who don’t feel they can do it and have also reached out on local Facebook pages to see if any vintage appliance enthusiasts might be in my area (Lehigh Valley, PA). Might any of you have advice on how or where to get started with refurbishing a very old stove? Thanks in advance!

Sorry I don't have more detailed photos of the stove to share, and don't mind the grime! It's in a building that was a plumber's workshop for about 50 years, followed by 30+ years of use as a potter's studio, so there's dust everywhere.

IMG_5740.JPG IMG_5729.JPG

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member

chapstickmeg

Premium Member
Thank you for the link! Right now the biggest issue has been finding a repair person willing to take a look at the stove, but it looks like we can do some basic diagnosis ourselves. Assuming we can figure out what work it needs, is it typically possible to find compatible parts if we know what we're looking for?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Assuming we can figure out what work it needs, is it typically possible to find compatible parts if we know what we're looking for?

If elements are required, possibly. If switches, maybe. If a thermostat, maybe only a slim chance although it might be able to be adapted to a more modern control. Nonfunctional parts, unlikely.

Right now the biggest issue has been finding a repair person willing to take a look at the stove

If there's a used appliance store in the area, they might know someone that will. they're sometimes more familiar working in older appliances and might be willing.

Dan O.