• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Here we go again - KRFC704FBS01 Kitchenaid Refrigerator Ice Maker Stopped

Doodadnules

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FBS01
Brand
KitchenAid
About 8 months ago, this same refrigerator failed in a similar way. The ice maker just stopped working. There is a thread on this forum discussing it. Ultimately, powering down for ~24hrs and turning the fridge back on resolved the issue.

I have similar symptoms however, the freezer and refrigerator seem to be working fine. I tried to run the diagnostic test for the ice maker (120) but, upon pressing "drawer" to execute the test sequence, the LED display was blank for a couple seconds and then displays "02" and just stops there. The test does not progress. No failure codes are displayed, etc. I tried to run the test several times with the same result with one exception. One of the trials resulted in "00" being displayed which indicates "stopped."

I really don't want to empty the entire refrigerator and do the long power cycle again unless that is the only way to resolve the issue. I have a replacement ice maker assembly and may just try installing that although, last time, it wasn't the problem. I just kept the ice maker assuming it would likely fail at some point. There is some question as to whether the new unit I purchased is compatible. The p/n is W10888882 and seems to be in a progression of about 5 or 6 replacements. On repairclinic.com the p/n shows as W11557001 but, lists W10888882 as one of the units it replaces. So, I'm assuming the new W10888882 may be compatible.

Any and all help with where to go next in the troubleshooting process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's your thread in 2021:

There is some question as to whether the new unit I purchased is compatible. The p/n is W10888882 and seems to be in a progression of about 5 or 6 replacements. On repairclinic.com the p/n shows as W11557001 but, lists W10888882
That is true, Another site said W11557001 supersedes W10888882 as well. So if you have that W10888882 already, I don't see any harm in trying it out first.

Here's the new ice maker part number that all sites list for your model:

Jake

Doodadnules

Premium Member
FIXED!!

Thanks Jake for the info regarding the W10888882 being a valid replacement but, those sites are wrong. The only physical difference is the wire connector housing. The original is a 2 x 6 whereas the W10888882 is a 3 x 4. The number and color of wires is the same so, looks like just a connector change. But, it cannot be plugged into the fridge as-is. Probably the only reason for the p/n change as again, everything else is identical as far as I can tell.

So, on to the fix. Once I had the original maker out and found the connector incompatibility with the new one, I decided to disassemble the original unit. Again. I took it apart 8 months ago as well but, couldn't find anything wrong. This time, I simply freed up the tension on the twisted ice tray and reassembled the unit. After reinstalling it, I ran the diagnostic 120 test again. Like before, it jumped to step "02" but I could hear the motor turning. It had to force the tray over the stop for twisting but, returned to the upright fill/freeze position. Immediately after, it returned "PA" which indicates all good. But, again, it did this after only the single test step. Bizarre really. It seems KitchenAid diagnostics firmware needs some brushing up.

After a couple of hours, I checked the ice-bin and low and behold, it was filling with cubes. Tragedy averted. Again. Although, my tragedy is a first world problem wherein I have to walk down the stairs to the bar and get ice from a Samsung with two perfectly functioning ice makers. That fridge is about 8 years old and has never even hiccupped that I know of. Great fridge. It would be in the kitchen if it were black.

I think the problem is the micro switches inside the motor housing that tell the firmware the position of the ice tray. It seems to get lost in the upside down and twisted position for dumping the ice. If it happens again, I will either swap the wires in the connectors and install the entire new unit or, just swap the motor/tray mechanism. The connector for the motor unit is identical. It literally snaps in and out. Very simple assembly for what it does.

I hope this experience helps someone going forward. I'll watch the thread for a few more days to see if anyone has any questions or clarifications.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update and the extra details about that ice maker.:)

Jake