HG4209 Speed Queen gas dryer not igniting

capecod41

Model Number
HG4209
Brand
Speed Queen
Hello all,

I'm stumped on fixing my dryer and would appreciate some help as I'm not sure what else to try. After my 30+ year old gas dryer stopped heating, I discovered the igniter wasn't working. I replaced it and all was well for a few weeks until it stopped heating again. It works fine on the first cycle and will ignite the gas, turn off for awhile, start again, as expected, and produce good heat. However, if you stop the dryer (for example to check the clothes) and then turn it back on while it's still hot, the igniter will glow and never turn off, and the gas will not ignite. If you wait until it cools off completely it will work again on the first cycle.

Based on info found online, I replaced the flame sensor and solenoids and fully expected this to resolve the issue. However... no luck. It's doing the same thing. If I pull a lead off of the flame sensor while the igniter is on, the gas will ignite, which a video online told me meant the flame sensor was bad. What gives!?

I would really like to get this old machine working reliably again. I'm comfortable working with a multi-meter and have some electronics experience. Thanks in advance for any advice!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

if you stop the dryer (for example to check the clothes) and then turn it back on while it's still hot, the igniter will glow and never turn off
Flame sensor sticking on, ignitor not getting the flame sensor hot enough are prime suspects. Bad new parts, no name parts, install a little off, combination of these....would have to be investigated.

jeff.