• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

High velocity furnace thoughts?

ron3033

Premium Member
Model Number
Oo
Brand
-major brand-
Hi
I have a home heated with electric base board heat. About 4/5 of the basement has finished drywall ceilings. Since I am also tall And for appearance, and mess, I am hesitant to put in a forced air furnace, due to the mess and ugly boxed in low duct work. There is a lot of wire in one area near the electric panel, then a support wall and then floor joists go 90 degrees the other direction.

I was told high velocity furnace could be fished down joist bays, hoping the insulation does not tear off. Also I was told high velocity furnaces are horribly noisy. I gather they may be costly. If the cost is high maybe I might be farther ahead to go hydronic hot water heat and with rad. Apparently hot water heat can work from oxygen free pex pipe. I would think pex pipe would be easy to fish and slip on insulated foam wrap as it is pulled.
Any thoughts. I live in Ontario, very near Michigan.
Thaks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I would think hot water heating with radiators or radiant floor heating might be easiest to install but you should actually get an installer to check the layout for options.

Do you have gas? You'll still need a method to heat the water.

JMO

Dan O.

ron3033

Premium Member
Hi Dan
We do not have gas now, but can. We were trying to figure out our options. We are trying to avoid major demolition of ceilings and having boxed in duct work runs.
We thought of rinnai wall furnaces, but it too poses some issues as it has to be on outside wall, but we will have to completely arrange furniture in our living room & dining room. Plus we will end up with a gas pipe running 28 feet across the front of the house about 4 feet off the ground to clear rec room windows and for snow load.
Can hot water roads be connected by lex pipe or does it have to be hard pipe? I have been told yes and no. One person thought lex was okay for in floor reflectors which will not work for us.