• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

HMBR350BE Magic Chef Mini Fridge Defrosted! Now there is an exposed white wire! Help!

liquidice

Premium Member
Model Number
HMBR350BE
Brand
Magic Chef
I have a Magic Chef Mini Fridge (~3.5 cubic feet). It has worked flawlessly for ~5 years.
Today though I had a problem. When I defrosted the unit, a large piece of defrost separated
from the bottom of the upper "freezer compartment" and then a white wire was exposed.
The wire has a rounded ball on the end of it.

This is a very simple fridge and it appears that there is only one wire on the inside
of the fridge. My guess is that the wire connects to the thermostat. However, one strange thing
was that the wire was pointing downward when I located (away from the thermostat box
on the top left. I am not sure how the wire wound up where it did if it were connected to the
thermostat).

Any help to understand this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure about the model number above.
I found this for a model of Magic Chef, though I have a Master Chef.

Corrected brand

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
liquidice said:
I have a Master Chef MiniFridge

That is likely suppose to be Magic Chef.

liquidice said:
My guess is that the wire connects to the thermostat.

That sounds like the sensing bulb of the thermostat. It is a tube, not a wire. Be careful not to kink it because if you collapse the tubing, the thermostat will be ruined.

That tubing usually mounts onto the side of the freezer box, touching it. There might be a clip that holds it in place or a plate with screw that fastens it to the freezer box. It it is not touching the freezer box, the thermostat can't sense the correct temperature and you'll likely end up with freezing food.

Dan O.

liquidice

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply Dan!

Here's a photo to clarify. The purple oval on the bottom left is the exposed wire.

Attachments

• Fridge Edit2.jpg
    Fridge Edit2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 681

liquidice

Premium Member
There is a largish "bulb" on the end of the wire. Not sure why.

Attachments

• Wire Edit 1.jpg
    Wire Edit 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 83

liquidice

Premium Member
Fridge Edit2b.jpg

The white wore (highlighted in orange) actually connects up with the thermostat box.
I am unclear now where the other end of this wire should connect up. There does not appear any obvious place for it to make this connection.

Might the other end (with purple) simply be a temperature sensor for the freezer unit?

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The blob on the loose end is just solder, sealing the tube. (It's a tube, not a wire.) The other end is connected to the thermostat. The white plastic is just an insulator.

Might the other end (with purple) simply be a temperature sensor for the freezer unit?

It is the sensing bulb of the thermostat, yes and it should usually attach right onto the freezer box either by a clip or bracket. Maybe on the opposite side of the freezer box? I see a screw or something there. I can't tell you exactly where or how on that model.

image.png

If it doesn't get mounted, the control will not be able to control the temperature properly.

Dan O.

Last edited:

liquidice

Premium Member
Dan, thank you very much for helping me.
I have plugged the fridge back in with the wire not yet back in the freezer compartment.
The fridge is cooling, though as you noted it is not controlling the temperature properly it keeps on cooling and cooling
without shutting off.

All that I need to do is somehow twist the wire (the purple oval end shown above) into the freezer compartment or find
some sort of a mount. I have yet to achieve this.

The red circle in your edited photo above is actually the mounting screw for the freezer compartment. This is unrelated to the
capillary tube. I would really like to see a photo of how the tube should seat in the freezer.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Wherever it goes, it'll be out of the way and not hanging down. If you have to, contact Magic Chef and ask them.

Dan O.

liquidice

Premium Member
Dan, this is great!

I decided to just twist the capillary tube into the freezer compartment.
The mini-fridge now appears to be operating correctly.

This does have me thinking, though.
Do they have fridges with a USB connector for a flash drive to download
temperature data? I remember having to do to the emergency once because
I drank milk from a fridge that was not working properly. Spoiled milk probably
causes a fair number of these ER trips. If fridges had temperature recordings (possibility with
built-in alarms then there could be a way of preventing such trips and potentially serious medical complications.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There are now some very high end refrigerators with wifi connections. I don't know that any record the temperature but you can probably check it from your phone and maybe receive alters.

IMO you should run far away from such things unless you have the $$$ to get them fixed when they break or can afford to replace it at the drop of a hat when it's too expensive to repair.

Newer scientific refrigerators might actually record temperature.

BTW I never heard of anyone that has had to go to a hospital because of spoiled milk. Barf maybe.

Dan O.

liquidice

Premium Member
I remember the stomach pain. ERs probably receives a fair number of patients from this.
"However, even if you can get past the unpleasant taste, drinking spoiled milk isn’t a good idea. It can cause food poisoning that may result in uncomfortable digestive symptoms, such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea." healthline.com/nutrition/spoiled-milk#risks

Including some sort of recording device perhaps with a USB flash drive interface might make a great deal of sense. The cost might actually be fairly minimal at scale.
A simple temperature scale and some circuitry. This would be value added worth a premium. If this were standard the premium might be very small.

liquidice

Premium Member
This is starting to become frustrating. the thermostat in my mini-fridge appears to be malfunctioning and keeping everything ice cold. The compressor does not appear to ever shut off.
It looks as if there could be an easy solution: buy a temperature controller. This would avoid a possibly frustrating replacement of the capillary tube.

Dan, might you have any suggestions for a reasonably priced temperature controller (would be great to save the shipping).

walmart.com/ip/BN-LINK-Digital-Cooling-Thermostat-temperature-Controller-for-Cooling-Device-40-108-F/513956686

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
This would avoid a possibly frustrating replacement of the capillary tube.

The capillary tube is part of the thermostat. That capillary tube must be in permanent contact with the freezer box to sense it's temperature to cycle the thermostat on and off. If it is not in permanent contact with the evaporator (aka freezer box) the control will not function properly. The control doesn't sense air temperature it senses the freezer box temperature.

Someone needs to look into properly mounting that capillary tube. As I sated previously "If it doesn't get mounted, the control will not be able to control the temperature properly."

I have no idea of the part you suggest and have no idea if you can get it to work but it *shouldn't* be necessary (see the above). If you need to, go to Best Buy or Home Depot etc. and look at their mini fridges there to see how their capillary tubes are mounted to get ideas for yours.

Dan O.

*corrected

Last edited: