• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Hotpoint (HSM25GFTASA) fridge side not cold freezer ok

Jason Walker

Premium Member
Model Number
HSM25GFTASA
Brand
Hotpoint
I've tested all fans and they run freely, tested the thermostat and i have continuity there. I've tested the heater element and also have continuity there. The vent doors seem to be opening and closing between the freezer and fridge. From what I understand the timer is not a separate device on my particular model, it's on the control board. I also shorted the blue(J9) and brown(J11) wires and the heating element came on. So the last thing I checked were the thermistors. I believe they should read 16.3k with a 5% error margin. So the bottom freezer side is dead on 16.3k, the fresh food side is 15.9k and the top freezer side is 15.5k which is exactly 5% off. I need opinions on whether or not to replace any/all of the thermistors. Also any other suggestions are welcome!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jason,

So the last thing I checked were the thermistors. I believe they should read 16.3k with a 5% error margin. So the bottom freezer side is dead on 16.3k, the fresh food side is 15.9k and the top freezer side is 15.5k which is exactly 5% off.
Yes, all the thermistors should read 16.3k ohms +/- 5% after they've been in a glass of ice water for at least 5 minutes before testing them.:)

Have you removed the back panel inside the freezer and at the evaporator coils and notice the frost pattern on them? Normal would be just a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils.

Do you have a refrigerator/freezer thermometer you can place in each side and let sit for a few hours and tell us what they read?

You can buy a inexpensive refrigerator/freezer thermometer, Get the liquid or digital type thermometer like the one here I use: Taylor Digital Refrigerator and Freezer Thermometer - Walmart.com

Jake

Jason Walker

Premium Member
Oh the coils look like Antarctica, solid thick ice everywhere. This is the second time I've had to manually defrost them and once I do that the fridge side goes back to normal temp. I do not have a thermometer so I'm not sure of that exact temp, but I can tell you that it's nice and cold like it should be. I can definetley get one if you think knowing the exact temps would help diagnose the issue.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh the coils look like Antarctica, solid thick ice everywhere.
That's the problem then Jason.:)

You have 3 parts that control the auto defrost cycle, the motherboard, the evaporator thermistor, and the defrost heater.

So what we do is a process of elimination to determine the bad part. So you will want to unplug your refrigerator and test the defrost heater first, but don't defrost it yet before testing it because if the heater checks good then you will need to test the evaporator thermistor that's mounted on the top of your evaporator coil, and that needs to be covered in frost to test that.(Since you already defrosted it, watch Shawns video below, he shows you how to test the evaporator thermistor per a glass of ice water).

Unplug the refrigerator first, then test the defrost heater first, take the wires off before testing. Watch the video below to test it, if that tests fine, then watch the video Shawn made to test your defrost thermistor. If both test fine, then your motherboard is the bad part.

Here's the evaporator thermistor for your model:
Thermistor WR55X10025 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video, Shawn explains how to test/replace the evaporator thermistor:

[video=youtube;7lxOqMjFtr4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxOqMjFtr4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly WR51X10055 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Here's the motherboard for your model:
Main Control Board WR55X10942 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Watch this video to test your defrost heater:

[video=youtube;311BiD76iYg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311BiD76iYg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Jake

Jason Walker

Premium Member
That's the exact video I've already watched and I've done those tests. That's how I got the numbers I posted in my original post. What I'm unsure about is the 1 thermistor that read 15.5k. That is exactly 5% off, is that something I should replace or not worry about since it's at that 5% mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Top freezer side is 15.5k which is exactly 5% off
That wasn't the thermistor that mounts on the top of your evaporator coil? Which is called the evaporator thermistor. If so, then I'd replace it after I ohm tested the defrost heater to make sure your defrost heater tests fine.

Or was that the freezer thermistor that mounts on the side of the wall inside the freezer?

Jake

Jason Walker

Premium Member
Yeah that was the evaporator thermistor that tested 15.5k. The one that's in the bottom of the fridge was exactly 16.3k. The defrost heater tests good

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then I'd replace the evaporator thermistor.

The evaporator should have a very light even coat of white frost on all the coils, top to bottom.

Normal:
Side X Side Normal Frost Patters.jpg

NOT Normal:
icedupcoils.jpg

Jake

Jason Walker

Premium Member
Yeah mine is definetly the "not normal" one. I'll replace the thermistor and see what happens! Thanks for your help so far. I'll let you know if that works, and if it doesn't, because then I'll need more suggestions lol.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jason, sounds good.

If the evaporator thermistor doesn't fix it, and you already ohm tested your defrost heater and that ohm tests good, then the only part left is your motherboard. You can order the motherboard from the link I posted to it above.

Jake