• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Hotpoint Refrigerator HSM25GFTCSA fridge side too cold.

bbrazz

Premium Member
Model Number
HSM25GFTCSA
Brand
Hotpoint
My 2007 Hotpoint side by side started getting too cold on fridge side last week. Woke up to water pouring out the door & found the water filter shattered. Performed the usual, water off & cleanup. Noticed a chunk of ice in the debris so I tested the temps. Temp numbers were default 5 & 5. Fridge wants to stay in the 20s, freezer is +/- zero, using digital WIFI probes. Mylar damper moves OK. No air/food flow blockage in either side. Set numbers to 2 freezer & 1 for fridge to get close, so I taped off half the damper vents to limit freezing. Unit does cycle off if taped. Tested 3 thermistors in ice water & fridge is 15.6K instead of 16.3K. Other two OK. Ordered all 3 & t-stat. Not in yet. With reservations, I replaced the MB & same results. Tested evap fan & it changes speed on demand. Compressor & condenser fan run. Condenser coils were dusty but not clogged. Cleaned them anyway. Defrost heater glows. I did see some ice on lower area of evap coils. I didn't see uniform frost like your pics. Ice maker works, & water dispenses. I'll replace the fridge thermistor when I see it. If this comes down to the freon level low, what type are they using & can this be re-charged by a tech? I know she's old, but she's not stainless steel so Grandma can post the kids' stuff. Best regards.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
15.6K instead of 16.3K.
That's close enough, 2° difference.
I did see some ice on lower area of evap coils. I didn't see uniform frost like your pics.
I'm thinking this is where the problem is. Leave the machine plugged in and running while you remove the evap cover. Take a pic and post it here.

bbrazz

Premium Member
See evap coil pic attached. The defrost heater (glowing) happened to be on during this time. Also, the compressor low side tube, where it drops out of the freezer, near condenser, was cool (72f) & not cold or sweating. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Evap_Coil2.jpg
    Evap_Coil2.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 22

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
We need to do this a little different because the heater was on. Unplug the machine. Use a hair dryer to completely defrost all the coils so there's no frost. Reinstall the cover over the evaporator. This is important or the machine will not cool. After a minimum 24 hours plugged in and running remove the cover and check the frost pattern.

This is important or the machine will not cool.
Looking at you pic it looks like the cover was left off. If this is the case that would be the problem with your temps.

bbrazz

Premium Member
Actually, the cover was only removed for the picture & that is the view. I'll proceed with drying it tomorrow & then inspect it after a day as noted. Thnx.