• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Hotpoint side by side does not dispense ice or water but makes ice

csrguth

Premium Member
Model Number
HSS25GFPAWW
Brand
Hotpoint
Bought new house and the 2003 Hotpoint refrigerator makes ice but will not dispense ice or water.

* You can select crushed, cubed, or water. (selection lights up).

* Solenoid that opens the trap door to ice works.

* We replaced the Hotpoint Refrigerator Dispenser Control Board WR55X10446 but that did not solve the problem.

* We opened the door and depressed the light switch and then tried to get ice. The auger motor does not turn.

Any suggestions?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Check the wire connector and wires below the lower freezer door hinge. It's common for the wires or connector to become loose and not make a good connection. (If the wires and connector are not by the lower door hinge they'll be under the top hinge cover). If the wire connector and wires check good the problem is most likely with the motherboard. Here's how to check it (You'll need a DMM capable of measuring VAC):

Pull the machine away from the wall and remove the cover over the motherboard. It's located on the right side above the machine compartment. Locate the J7 connector. I'll attach a diagram.

Set your meter to measure VAC and connect one test lead to J7-Pin #9. Touch the other test lead to J7-Pin #1. Have someone press the dispenser lever for ice. Your meter should indicate 120 VAC.

Leave the one test lead on J7-9 and touch the other test lead to J7-3. Have someone press the lever for water. Meter should indicate 120 VAC. If tests fail replace the motherboard.
MB1-1 Defrost Only.jpg

Main Control Board WR55X10942P Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy.

csrguth

Premium Member
Thank you great instructions - not initially followed.

Well I made the mistake of doing the testing on J-1 and ordered a new mother board which made no difference before I realized my mistake.

Both motherboards are functioning properly.

Water 125V to J7-3
Cubed Ice 125V to J7-1 and 2
Crushed Ice 125V to J7-1

Does this mean the Auger Motor and Water Solenoids are both bad or would there be some other single point of failure? What test can I perform?

rickgburton

Staff member
Did you ever check the door switch? It's actually two switches. One for the light when the door opens and the other closes when the door closes to supply 120 VAC to the dispenser. It's possible only half the switch failed.
GE WR23X10179 Light Switch - AppliancePartsPros.com
ge-switch-light-wr23x10179-ap3192880_01_m.jpg

csrguth

Premium Member
50% solved. With the switch removed water works but not Ice. So maybe I had two problems, I'm ordering a new switch. Now I regret sending back the mother board back yesterday, but I seamed to be getting the correct signals of the motherboard. Can I test the auger motor?

Details for others. The switch has a three wire feed Red (120V power, Grey (?), & Black (120V from red to light). Water now works when switch is removed. I get no AC or DC volts between red and grey either with the ice and water dispenser depressed or not so I'm not sure what exact signal is being sent.

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes you can check the auger from the motherboard. Look in the diagram in post 2

csrguth

Premium Member
So I confirmed above the motherboard is sending the proper voltage J7-1 but the augur motor is not working even following the steps I took on the freezer switch (which got the water working). Is there any other interruption between J7-1 and the auger motor besides the freezer switch? How can I test the augur motor to ensure it is receiving power since I know J7-1 is supping it. Can I provide power somewhere to the motor to test that it works?