• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Hotpoint Washer HSWP1000M4WW agitates but won't spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccachar

Premium Member
Model Number
HSWP1000M4WW
Brand
Hotpoint
I had a local appliance repair place diagnose it before I ever looked at it and they said, "The motor is frozen. It'll be $735 to replace it." I told them thanks-but-no-thanks, got the replacement motor myself, and went to install it today. Initial testing showed that it fills, agitates, rinses and drains, but never spins, so I was very skeptical of the diagnosis.

Replaced the motor and still have exactly the same behavior. The whole mechanism is as free-spinning as I've ever seen; I can easily turn the tub by spinning the motor shaft between thumb and forefinger. Belt is flawless. I haven't put a multimeter to the lid switch, but it stops and starts the agitation like it should, so I don't have any reason to doubt it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to have a small window of opportunity to work on it again on Friday morning.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the parts diagram for your machine:

Here's the tech. data sheet: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19wjlY7J4PKfwLKEfoCABiFUGCjSwxYbi

Do you hear any sound at all when the motor should be running in spin?

How many times is the LED flashing on the motor? OR is the LED STEADY OFF or STEADY ON?

Shawn has a good webpage that explains this issue and what to check for here: HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

Read here--->If fuse is good and there is no flashing LED on the inverter board, then the motor/inverter you just got is bad. This is a very common problem with this washer design. Even if the fuse link is bad, it is recommended to replace the motor/inverter.
--->The motor/inverter has been redesigned and the replacement requires removal of the fuse link. A jumper and instructions come with the new motor to remove and jump out the fuse link.

Here's the motor/inverter for your model:
WH20X10093 Motor and Inverter Asm

Jake

mccachar

Premium Member
Here's the tech. data sheet: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19wjlY7J4PKfwLKEfoCABiFUGCjSwxYbi

"Do you hear any sound at all when the motor should be running in spin?"
Not from the motor. The water pump appears to be running.

"How many times is the LED flashing on the motor? OR is the LED STEADY OFF or STEADY ON?"
I never saw the LED on either motor. That's probably because, as Shawn points out, if it was made after the middle of 2010, that LED is on the right side, not the front, and I was looking from the left because that's the best vantage point of the belt movement. I will check it tomorrow.

"Read here--->If fuse is good and there is no flashing LED on the inverter board, then the motor/inverter you just got is bad. This is a very common problem with this washer design. Even if the fuse link is bad, it is recommended to replace the motor/inverter.
--->The motor/inverter has been redesigned and the replacement requires removal of the fuse link. A jumper and instructions come with the new motor to remove and jump out the fuse link."
Per Shawn, "If the light is red or your motor has the flap shown in the top picture your model doesn’t have the fuse." The original motor definitely does have the flap; I'll have to check the replacement in the morning.

Note that I tried this, not knowing much about what it was doing, "To clear the error code, turn the washer off. Then disconnect power for about 20 seconds. Next, reconnect power then open and close the lid five or more times within 12 seconds in the first 30 seconds of power-up."

Here's the motor/inverter:
WH20X10093 Motor and Inverter Asm

mccachar

Premium Member
Steady 1-second flash from the LED, so no error code. Replacement motor is also the newer model. Will post a couple of videos of run shortly. While it should be spinning the motor is silent, cool and vibration free.

So, question...this machine also has a busted load size switch, stuck on Small, I believe. I wasn't going to replace it until the larger issue of not spinning was resolved, but is there any possibility the the load size switch could cause the non-spinning behavior?

Shawnryan111

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Take the water level tube off the side of the tub and see if it is particularly clogged

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look at this chart:

Screenshot 2022-07-30 08.23.36.png

1 flash - This means that the tub took more than 25 seconds to stop. This code will shut down the motor so this code must be cleared for the washer to operate. Clear the code as described below. Once the error code is cleared, start a spin cycle and wait for the tub to reach full speed. Then open the lid, if the tub takes over 25 seconds to stop or if the same code reoccurs, replace the motor.

To clear the error code, turn the washer off. Then disconnect power for about 20 seconds. Next, reconnect power then open and close the lid five or more times within 12 seconds in the first 30 seconds of power-up.

mccachar

Premium Member
1 flash - This means that the tub took more than 25 seconds to stop. This code will shut down the motor so this code must be cleared for the washer to operate. Clear the code as described below. Once the error code is cleared, start a spin cycle and wait for the tub to reach full speed. Then open the lid, if the tub takes over 25 seconds to stop or if the same code reoccurs, replace the motor.

But that's not what it is; it's "1 SECOND ON; 1 SECOND OFF"

Take the water level tube off the side of the tub and see if it is particularly clogged

Going to try to do that later this afternoon.

mccachar

Premium Member
OK, so, in my effort to check if the water level tube was plugged I was forced to realize that that goes right to the broken load size switch, so that's almost certainly the culprit. I've ordered that part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
it's "1 SECOND ON; 1 SECOND OFF"
Ok, got it! Thanks for clarifying that.:)

OK, so, in my effort to check if the water level tube was plugged I was forced to realize that that goes right to the broken load size switch, so that's almost certainly the culprit. I've ordered that part.
Ok, sounds good.

Here's the water level pressure switch hose for your model:
WH41X365 Pressure Switch Hose

Here's the water level pressure switch for your model:
Switch Pressure WH12X22696

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.