• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED How does the ice maker work, step-by-step?

axnst1

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi All,

My in-laws have a 15 year old Kenmore and it works great except the ice maker has stopped working. Both of my in-laws are great people, retired and are on a fixed income. They can't really affored a new fridge. So I want to try and fix the ice maker.

So basicaly, five days ago, all of the sudden the fridge started leaking water. After a little bit of digging I figured out that the water running into the ice-cube tray of the ice maker is no longer getting shut off. So the water starts running and never stops, and the tray overfills and water starts leaking everywhere. What I am looking for is a step-by-step walk through of how the ice maker works.

Here's my assumption:

1. Water starts running into the tray
2. After a certain amount of time has elapsed the valve closes (found the valve) and the water shuts off.
3. Once thermostat in ice-cube tray reaches 32-ish degrees, the ice maker tray motor gets turned on and the ice cubes get dispensed into the bin
4. Cycle 1-3 keeps repeating until bin is full of ice cubes at which point the arm gets pushed up and cycle is paused.

If my above assumption of the overall process is correct, here's what I am thinking could have broken:

1. valve
2. timer
3. switch that closes the circuit that opens/closes the water valve

I can easily test to see whether or not it's the valve that's gone bad (with an electrical tester), but what I would like to know is:

- is the above described process correct?
- how can I tell whether it's the timer or the switch?
- are there other components that are likely to be causing the issue?
- where is the switch (that opens/closes the valve) located (by the ice maker motor perhaps?)?
- where is the timer (that turns the above switch on and off) located?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

axnst1

Premium Member
WOW! Thanks a bunch for the quick response! I figured that it must be the valve! I am going to stop by my in-laws tomorrow after work and take my tester with me. However, judging from the video it appears that it could still be a mechanical issue as well. I gues I'm just going to order the part. I found it for $30 bucks online so it's not the end of the world! Again, thank you so much for the help! I really do appreciate it! I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Thanks again!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you purchase it through the link I gave you and it has a problem in the next 365 days you can return it for a new one. The one online, 30 days, maybe.

axnst1

Premium Member
Replacing the valve took 10 minutes and it fixed the problem and the fridge is now making ice again like a charm! Thanks a bunch for your help!