• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

How Reset Old Maytag Wall Oven Thermostat

NineMileEric

Model Number
CWE 401 or CWE45
Brand
Maytag
I have an old Maytag Wall Oven Model CWE451 or CWE 401. I've noticed the actual temp is a lot less than what I set it at. Finally did an 'experiment' setting the temp at 50 deg intervals and recording the actual temp as seen on an equally old bimetallic stove thermometer.

As expected, the actual temp is roughly 100 deg lower than the set temp. Is there a way to 'adjust' the thermometer? Is it still possible to get a thermometer for this oven? Side story is

I'm 80 and will be selling the house in a year or two at which point the new owner will no doubt rip out all my 28 year old appliances, so am hoping not to have to buy a new oven. I guess I could just set the over for 475 when I want it to heat to 375....

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
NineMileEric said:
temp is roughly 100 deg lower than the set temp. Is there a way to 'adjust' the [thermostat]?

Not when it's out that much. The thermostat needs to be replaced.

But first, make sure the thermostat sensor bulb is mounted properly and not touching anything inside the oven (racks, oven cavity) and maybe giving a false reading.

LINK > The Appliance Clinic : Electric Range Oven Thermostat Sensor Bulb Mounting

NineMileEric said:
Is it still possible to get a thermo[stat] for this oven?

That will depend on the exact model number of the appliance. CWE 401 or CWE45 are parts of two different model numbers. Please get it right off the appliance's ID tag. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

If you supply the proper model number, we'll check on the thermostat availability.

Dan O.