• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

How to diagnose GE Washer WJRE5500G2WW motor doesn't spin?

lgct38

Premium Member
Model Number
WJRE5500G2WW
Brand
GE
Hi,

My GE washer doesn't spin. I reset the motor but still didn't work. How do I know if the motor is bad?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does then motor run after it fills in the agitate cycle?

First check the motor LED STATUS light. You'll need to remove the front panel on your washer and check the motor error codes. Shawn has a good webpage to show you how here: HydroWave GE Washer Repair Guide

Let us know what error code you get from the flashing light on the motor, and how many times it flashes.

Here's the motor for your model:
Drive Motor WH20X10058

Motor status is displayed through a series of flash codes from a green LED located on the front side of the inverter just above the motor. See if it's flashing a code.

Snapshot_3.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, yes let us know.

Per Shawn's site--->6 flashes – This means that the motor cannot turn. Clear the code and if the problem still exists follow these instructions. To check, this first remove the belt and attempt to turn the big pulley. If it turns freely both ways replace the motor. If the big pulley, is stuck the shifter needs to be replaced.

Here's the Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly for your model, in case you need to order it:
WH38X10017 Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly

There is a video in the Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly part link that shows you how to replace it.

Jake

lgct38

Premium Member
I removed the belt and turned the pulley. It turned freely both direction. When I turned the pulley, it was loose before catching onto some sort a latch before the basket inside moved. it was like that both direction. Is this normal?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Which pulley? The motor pulley or the big Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly pulley?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then its a bad Mode Shifter & Shaft Assembly, if the motor pulley turns freely both ways.

Jake

lgct38

Premium Member
But according to the instruction on Shawn's instruction, if the pulley moves freely both ways, replace the motor, not the mode shifter & shaft. Please see below:

1650291060048.png

Attachments

• 1650290890070.png
    1650290890070.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 17

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the big pulley turns both ways freely, but you said your big pulley wasn't turning freely both ways, didn't you?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When I turned the pulley, it was loose before catching onto some sort a latch before the basket inside moved. it was like that both direction. Is this normal?
That's what I'm not understanding, if the big pulley turns both ways freely it should not be catching onto some sort a latch before the basket inside moved.

Did you first clear the error code to see if the problem still exists?

To clear the error code, turn the washer off. Then disconnect power for about 20 seconds. Next, reconnect power then open and close the lid five or more times within 12 seconds in the first 30 seconds of power-up.

Jake

lgct38

Premium Member
Yes, the pulley turned both ways. I meant the pulley turned a bit before engaging the basket inside to turn. If I continued spinning, both the pulley and the basket would spin smoothly. If I reversed it, it would act the same way. I also tested by removing the belt, turning the knob to "Drain and Spin Cycle", pressing "Start" button; after that, only the pump started, the motor did not spin at all.

Yes, I did that and the LED still flashed 6 times.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Got it! In that case the motor is the culprit!

Jake