• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

How To Disassemble Microwave To Install Latch...

troche

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I bought a Sears Kenmore Elite Wall Oven/Microwave combination and have been pleased with it so far. Recently, the right latch (if you are facing the unit and opening the door) on the microwave door broke. Sears sent me the part and after a week it finally arrived. I now have two choices - I can install it myself (which seems simple enough) or call a service person and wait another week or more without a microwave. Can anyone tell me how to install this part? I looked at the schematic (http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/R1009032-00004.png) which seems simple enough but when I look at the microwave door itself I don't see any screws that allow me to access the latch part or any screws at all for that matter!! Any ideas? Thanks...

mrand

Premium Member
I have the exact same situation... did you ever figure out how to replace the microwave door latch? Marc

mrand

Premium Member
Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

mrand

Premium Member
We were right - item 77 is a thin piece of plastic on the side of the door which goes around the window and pops out relatively easily. Under it, there are a dozen screws that, when removed, allow the outer glass assembly to be separated from the inner glass/hinge/frame. The hinge and retaining screw is then accessible on the inner frame. It's disappointing that the latch is made so cheaply... I'm replacing my broken one and buying one spare for each side for next time.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I'm replacing my broken one and buying one spare for each side for next time.
Good deal.

jeff.