How to ID vintage Sargent Mortise Lock

Opihi59

Premium Member
Generally, I find folks who lurk on forums of this nature have a broad wealth of general information about a ton of other home related issues, and I haven't found another suitable forum to pose this question, so I'm giving it a shot on The Porch.

My home was built in 1985 with a Sargent mortise lock in the front door. It has become problematic; I have torn it apart and lubed/fixed what I can but likely need some new parts, I am unable to identify what "series" this lock is, as there are no model numbers or any part numbers on it anywhere, no tags stuck to it, inside or out. The plate simply says "Sargent 81" and the 81 seems to appear it was struck in separately. The lock cylinder says "Sargent" on it. I feel if I can identify this with a part number/model number, I can further chase this down. I have looked at a bazillion images online, reviewed a ton of PDFs from Sargent about their products, but do not find similar pictures/schematics, or dimensions. I have looked on eBay for similar photos, but only find Sargent mortise locks that seem wildly different from mine (antique). I suppose mine is vintage enough to have fallen thru the cracks, but is not antique.

Maybe a few images to pique a little interest, and hopefully I can be pointed in a helpful direction. Thanks for any assistance in this.

IMG_6648.jpgIMG_6646.jpgIMG_6649.jpgIMG_6651.jpgIMG_6652.jpgIMG_6653.jpg

Opihi59

Premium Member
Just to fill in on what I have figured out. It is a Sargent 8100 series mortise lockset. They are unbelievably expensive. I have pulled it apart to all its basic pieces, tediously cleaned, thoroughly lubed, etc and painfully reassembled like it was a clock/timepiece, and it functions fine now, better than it ever had in the 11 years I've owned this house. Just figured since I'm on the forum working on other issues, I should update my thread so it doesn't look like I never came back and shared the information I managed to finally figure out. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear you figured it out.:)

Sorry no one was able to assist you, most only come here for appliance repair.:)

If we were mainly a door lock website, you'd have many people answering quickly.:)

Jake