• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

How to optomize settings for my new AC

Jeff Ornstein

Premium Member
Hello,

The other day I bought a new window air conditioner, a Frigidaire model #FAA084P7A from PC Richards, a large electronic chain in NYC.

I have a few questions on how to operate this ac the best possible way.

1. On the electronic temperature indicator, it says "60" (lowest value), but can go to I think 90. Is this number the desired temperature for the room, or is this what I am supposed to tell the AC what it is outside?. Really, I just don't know. It doesn't say in the instruction manual. I'm just a bit confused.

2. Fan speed. It says that the speed goes from 10-99. Currently, it is set at 99, the highest. I read that this can control the humidity. But what's the best setting? 50% of 99 (~50)...25%, etc?

3. This is an 8,000 btu ac for a room that is 19'x12'. The salesman said that this is the ideal size output. I neglected to tell him that I am on the top floor of my apartment building under a roof, and it definitely can get hot in the summer inside. Also, the room doesn't have a door, it has an open archway to another, but smaller room. So some of the cold air is escaping to the other room (which isn't such a bad thing).
Should I have bought a higher btu model?

4. It's 95 degrees out right now at 11:30 in NYC. Any help in trying to get the settings right is much appreciated.

Thank you
Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the 60 and 90 degree settings are for your desired room temperature.

The 10-99 fan speed is just like the low, medium and high settings on it.
The high setting would be good for days over 90 degrees outside.

Yes, a higher BTU is always best, like a 10,000-12,000 BTU.

Jake

Jeff Ornstein

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!

Next time, I will definitely try to by a 10,000 btu ac (at least). The salesman told me that the 8000 btu was the correct one.

Oh well....like I said, maybe next time....

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Jeff.:)

Jake