• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED How to remove meat drawer panel off of KitchenAid Superba 42 Refrigerator (KSSS42QDW00)?

battleborn

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSS42QDW00
Brand
KitchenAid
I have an old Kitchenaid Superba 42. The roller on the meat/deli drawer broke so I ordered a replacement. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the face plate that says "Meat Locker." Kitchenaid/Whirlpool say that's how the replacement comes and that a technician would just remove the panel from the old drawer, but they have no instructions. Anyone have any idea how to do this? I hesitate to stick a screwdriver in there and pry it out for fear I may break it. Thanks!

image0a.jpeg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Remove it from the machine and take a few pics front and back and post them here.

battleborn

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, here you go, here are pics of the old one and the new one.
let me know if you need anything else.

image4.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

rickgburton

Staff member
Looks like it just pops off. If there's any tabs they'll be along the bottom. The plastic is pretty sturdy. Just don't force it. Use a small screwdriver and kind of work it around. Start in a bottom corner and work towards the middle. Here's a tip: Use a very small amount of pressure as you work the screwdriver around the panel and you will probably come to a "sweet" spot and it comes right off. Two small screwdrivers sometimes works better.

battleborn

Premium Member
So this was quite a challenge, it was on with adhesive. I wasn't making much progress with a small screwdriver so I decided to take a suction cup into one of the corners where I could get a thin putty knife and I could see it was on with adhesive. What did the trick was getting a heat gun to heat up the plastic and soften the adhesive and slowly working the putty knife through took awhile, but came out in great condition.

Any idea what to use to clean it up and get the old adhesive off and what kind of new adhesive to use for this? I was thinking of just using some of the 3m mounting tape but it's too thick and wouldn't allow the panel to sit flush. I think it has to be adhesive just wondering what to use. Thanks again.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 78
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 84

rickgburton

Staff member
Thanks for the update. That's good information.
what kind of new adhesive to use for this?
There's two ways to go. If you don't think you'll need to replace it again, a drop of super glue on each side. If you think you'll need to replace it again, use a small bead of 100% clear silicone.

FDH

Premium Member
I have an old Kitchenaid Superba 42. The roller on the meat/deli drawer broke so I ordered a replacement. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the face plate that says "Meat Locker." Kitchenaid/Whirlpool say that's how the replacement comes and that a technician would just remove the panel from the old drawer, but they have no instructions. Anyone have any idea how to do this? I hesitate to stick a screwdriver in there and pry it out for fear I may break it. Thanks!

View attachment 58373
I have the same problem with the meat drawer but cannot find a replacement drawer. Any suggestions on where I can find one?
Thanks

battleborn

Premium Member
I have the same problem with the meat drawer but cannot find a replacement drawer. Any suggestions on where I can find one?
Thanks
I got mine here: searspartsdirect.com/product/1sjpl4ab7r-0046-106/id-wp2220902

FDH

Premium Member
Many thanks. I placed an order but ominously it is marked as backordered

battleborn

Premium Member
Many thanks. I placed an order but ominously it is marked as backordered
Yeah no worries, just google it. I'm sure they're available. Looks like it's in stock here: partselect.com/PS11739767-Whirlpool-WP2220902-Meat-Pan.htm