• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

How to replace a shock absorber on a Speed Queen stackable washer, model #NUE87AWF?

erineb2

Premium Member
Model Number
NUE87AWF
Brand
Speed Queen
I am wondering if anybody might be able to help me with my washer. We just moved and a couple days after moving the washer in noticed it was much louder on the spin cycles, making a loud thumping noise similar to the noise of an off-balanced load, but much louder and more 'clunky', and didn't sound as if the whole drum was thumping, but only a part of it. After leveling it and assuring that it was, in fact, balanced and totally level, the noise remained. I removed the back panel and saw that one of the four shocks appeared to have come out of the cylinder. The shaft of the shock, which is totally enclosed in the other 3 shocks, is now outside the container. The result is the noise I was hearing was from the drum banging on the back of the washer, since the shock in question is on the back left corner and now sits 2-3" lower than it should. I tried having someone lift up the drum from the inside (where the clothes would go) to see if I could slide the shaft back into the container, but when lifted as high as possible without forcing, I still needed about 3.5" of clearance to get the shaft into the container. I am wondering if I need to replace the entire shock, or just get the shaft back into the container? And, does anyone have any advice about how to go about doing either of those?
Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will need to replace that shock.

I can't locate any information on that model# you posted, please recheck it.

Jake

erineb2

Premium Member
Thank you! I apologize, the model number I listed earlier in this thread is not correct. The correct model number, I believe, is LTS87A*F. On the machine itself the * is shown as a W, but when I searched speed queen's website, it was listed as a *. I was able to identify the model number on the cylinder/shock absorber, and as written on the part itself, it reads P/N 800630 60N 31 08 SUSPA INC. C08 00402. I'm not sure if it helps, but the serial number for the washer is 209009872.

I am wondering how I would go about replacing the shock? I have found the part available for $13.18 on www.appliancepartspros.com but I was wondering how I would go about replacing it?

Thank you again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Erin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
oK Erin,

I really don't know how to change shocks on Speed Queens, never done it before on Speed Queens, but on most other brands there is a plastic pin at the bottom of the shock at the washer base you have to remove first, then the shock comes out.

Jake