Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Model Number
Whirlpool/106
Brand
Whirlpool
How to replace a Whirlpool/Kenmore/KitchenAid refrigerator start relay.

The example shown here is done on a side-by-side whirlpool refrigerator.

Many of the start relays
are the same on other makes and models even though they may look a little different.

Customer Complaint: My refrigerator is to warm and I can hear a clicking noise.

My refrigerator is not cooling at all but it sounds like it is running.

Often times the customer will hear just the fans running and think the refrigerator is running, but the compressor is not running because the start relay it bad and needs to be replaced.

To replace the start relay you will need to unplug the refrigerator at the outlet.

Pull the refrigerator away from the wall so you can remove the lower back cover.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

Once you have the back cover removed you will be able to see the compressor.

The start relay will be located on the side of the compressor. The start relay shown on this side by side whirlpool refrigerator is white and has a white and red wire going to it.

Remove the old start relay by pulling it off by hand. If it does not pull of by hand easily you may have to put the tip of a flat blade screw driver between the start relay and the body of the compressor to help pry it off. Most of the time you can remove them without any force.

Shake the relay, if it rattles, then its definitely bad.

Here is the part to order(comes with instructions and video):
8201799 Compressor Start Device Kit

Jake

Attachments

TLR02

Premium Member
Thank you for the pictures and the quick response. I got the relay out and shook it. Sounds likes it's broken inside. It's gonna take several days to ship me one. Post your link to your supply person so I can help contribute to this wonderful site.

Is it safe to put the relay back in and let the refridge run and leave off the freezer side? When I took off the relay, the condensor was hot.

Also I just saw one fan. Is that all the fridge has?

TLR02

Premium Member
opps, sorry. I just saw your link for the part. I will order today. I still need to know about letting the refridge run??

Ohh and GO STEELERS!!!! SuperBowl is today!!!:D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It has 2 fans, the one down by the condenser you just saw, then the other in the freezer that blows cold air to your refrigerator section.

No, Don't let the refrig. run with that old relay, buy about 10-20 pounds of dry ice to put in your refrigerator till that part arrives. They sell dry ice at certain grocery stores, or look it up in the yellow pages.

Jake

Jessie99

Premium Member
Hi everyone! For my first post here, I must say I've been inspired by the advice given on this website,and I decided to replace the start relay on my fridge.

It has been giving the telltale signs of decline, hum...click (off). The part (548339) has been substituted for a newer design (4318083)

My problem is the new part looks totally different than the old start relay and I'm concerned about the connections being correct. Attached is my current setup. Any advice for hooking up the new part?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi everyone! For my first post here, I must say I've been inspired by the advice given on this website,and I decided to replace the start relay on my fridge. It has been giving the telltale signs of decline, hum...click (off). The part (548339) has been substituted for a newer design (4318083).

My problem is the new part looks totally different than the old start relay and I'm concerned about the connections being correct. Attached is my current setup. Any advice for hooking up the new part?
Whats the model# of your refrigerator? Its located inside the refig. section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
74822 is just the partial model#, we need the complete model#. If its a Sears Kenmore it will start with 106 or 253

Jake

KingTito

Premium Member
Question about Relay installation

Hello:

This site has been of immense help to me in the past and once again today.

One issue eludes me however. I have a Kenmore Elite 106.50793002.

I diagnosed, using this site and the great support provided on it, that the relay had probably gone bad. I purchased the 8201799 kit.

I installed everything no problem. Except what should have been simple, the black cover!

If you look at where the new relay assembly mounts onto the 3 prong connector on the compressor, there are two wires (white and blue) going to the left if you are facing the 3 prongs head on and the two wires go to a black rectangular box that I am assuming is the capacitor. I cannot get the black cover to fit around those wires and if I press the box in place while tucking the wires in, I feel like I am going to pinch them. I took a picture but couldn't post because I left the cord at work!

So far, I left the cover off.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, they should go in that black cover with no problem, if you can post that photo, we can get a better idea of whats going on with yours.

Jake

KingTito

Premium Member
Picture of problem

Thanks Jake for the speedy reply. Here is the best picture I could take and I attached it. I bet it's simple and I'm just missing something but I don't want to pinch or nick the blue and white wire going to the left of the compressor when facing it from the 3 prong connector side.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There should be a cut-out in the top or bottom left side that they could route through, if there's not, then you could make one.:)

Jake

KingTito

Premium Member
cover

I figured it out. I just held the wires so they didn't pinched and clicked the cover in place and the wires move freely.

Thanks again. This site has saved me a lot of time and money by enabling me to diagnose two problems with my refrigerator (1 was the fan in 2006 and now this) that I was able to repair myself.

I always tell people to check here before calling anyone!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Sounds like you got it, Good job.:)

Jake

DuaneBolin

Premium Member
Help with part number?

Hi there! I have an old Whirlpool EHD221MTNR1 (for some reason, when I do part searches, the "N" doesn't come up, but MTWR1 will come up . . . not sure what's up with that). It recently quit cooling after working fine for quite a while. The fan runs constantly and every couple of minutes the compressor will start, but then there's a click and it stops within 1-2 seconds of starting.

Based upon what I read in this thread, it certainly seems like it could be this capacitor relay start problem. I took the back off and removed the capacitor start relay and it does indeed rattle.

I'd like to try to repair this myself, because I can't afford to hire anyone or pay much at all! Unfortunately, I've been unable to figure out what replacement part I need. The one shown on the thread is obviously for a newer, different model. Can you help me figure out what part(s) I'd need for my older model EHD221MTNR1? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Duane Bolin

DuaneBolin

Premium Member
If it helps at all, I searched here
and found the following part, which has a picture here: 4387938 Overload

But since this looks quite a bit different from the part in the thread and the part I checked on my refrigerator this morning, I'm hesitant to order it. I understand it's a replacement part, so it might look different, but I'd appreciate it greatly if anyone could confirm whether this is the part I need. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

DuaneBolin

Premium Member
Awesome!

Thanks, Jake! Is that the only part I need to order? It looks like it's not the whole "kit" that is pictured earlier in the thread. I suppose I just replace the part that they send me then? Sorry to be so new to DIY refrigerator repair! Thanks again for the part #.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.