FIXED How to replace a - Whirlpool/Kenmore Model 106 - Refrigerator Start Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper-ST10

Premium Member
I am asumming that going down the road is what killed it. Or maybe the batteries running out and just dropping power. Reason I went this route is that a new rv 3 way frig costs $1500 plus installation....this was $400...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I know the reason is the price difference. I really don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, that works, but you can't let them know or find out you use it in a RV or they will refund the extended warranty money and your back to square one.:)

Jake

After reading the 19 pages I think I know my frig issue. Like others, the fan runs constantly and every couple of minutes there's a click or two but the compressor never starts. If it does it is extremely quiet and causes no vibration. Neither the freezer or frig side are cool but they do get warm air.

It stopped working in the middle of a kitchen remodel, lots of dust and it was moved.

My issue certainly seems like it could be this start relay problem. I took the back off and removed the start relay and it does rattle.

I'd like to confirm that sounds like my problem and get confirmation on the part(s) needed.

I have a Kenmore Coldspot SxS 106.52693100

The part I think I need is the Start Device #1177466. Is that correct?
I also see Relay and Overload Kit #586449. Do I also need it?

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

brij

Premium Member
Not cooling

Hi there
I shut the refrigerator last night and I trie to switch it back on today it wouldnt start.Like others, the refrigerator fan runs constantly and every couple of minutes there's a click but the compressor never starts. I do get warm air inside.

Based on reading your previous posts it could be the start relay problem. I took the back off but then notice that the relay is supported by another plastic string. (Attached is the picture). Is it ok to cut this and take out the relay to replace it. Also the "Repairclinic" website mentions for the part num #1177466:
*Wiring could differ from original, will possibly need to be installed by an appliance repairperson.
RepairClinic.com

I have a Whirlpool Conquest side by side door
Model # GS6SHAXKB01
Serial # SL3846408
MFR Date 09-01

Is Item #1177466 the correct device? Do I only need the Start Device? How difficult is to replace?

Thanks in advance!

Brij

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

brij

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I will cut the plastic tie and try to remove the start relay. Only the white part of the relay will come out of the socket correct?
For installing the new relay will I have to cut wires and remove the black box from the condenser. I will order the Start relay today. How difficult is the process to install it back as the website states: will possibly need to be installed by an appliance repairperson

Thanks again
Brij

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes only white part.

No, don't cut any wires.

Its very simple to install, just read the instructions carefully and it will guide you step by step.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

MHamilton

Hi Jake,
This forum looks great, I think you've talked about my Model before KSRB22F Kitchenaid Fridge. Had a tech come out today to diagnose why it wasn't cooling, (55.00) and he said it was my relay/capacitor and wanted to charge me 140 for parts and 150 for labor. Seemed steep so I did a quick google search on what the part he showed me he was going to install was going for it, it was something from Supco and looked like it ran for 30 dollars. I was angry he was charging me five times the part costs so I asked him to leave. Now I want to try installing a replacement relay/capacitor myself as it seems alot of the people in this thread are able to do. Can you tell me which items I would need to order exactly?
The tech already cut some wires...
Here's a picture of what he pulled out:

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh that damn tech, I'm sorry but that tech. was extremely stupid, besides trying to rip you off. He should never have cut the wires on the relay.

Hope your good with a wire stripping tool, you will need one now. And also new metal female terminal ends, just remove the metal female terminal ends from the old relay and take them down to your local hardware store and they can match them up for you.

The manufacturer has replaced part number 2220474 with this item, part number 8201786.

Here's the relay kit for your model you can order here:
Manufacturer Number 8201786

Here's the instruction sheet that will come with the new one: compressorStartRelay.pdf

Here's the run capacitor you can order here:
Manufacturer Number 2169373

Then you just strip back the insulation about a 1/2" -3/4" on each wire, then use wire nuts to wire nut each wire together. Most hardware stores have wires nut, you will want the orange colored ones.

Yes, a wire stripping tool, any hardware store has them or Sears:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rEmail=&langId=

Jake <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

brij

Premium Member
Jake I received the parts today. Does the black relay and the overload connect separately to the compressor?
If so I have connected it the way they showed in the instructions. I am attaching a pic. Please confirm before I switch on the refrigerator. Also should I put the black cover as mentioned.
I am a newbie thus all the questions

Thanks

Last edited:

ash88

Premium Member
KitchenAid Clicking noise

I've read through this post and I think I have the same problem. I've got a KitchenAid KSRA25KKBL01 fridge and getting the clicking noise. I removed what I assume is the relay (shook it and it makes the rattly noise) but it looks slightly different from what I find online. I'm looking at a Canadian online store which has the same stuff it seems as the store here.

So should I just order the Overload and Relay Assembly (Whirlpool 4387835 | Overload and Relay Assembly Any help is appreciated.

ash88

Premium Member
I've read through this post and I think I have the same problem. I've got a KitchenAid KSRA25KKBL01 fridge and getting the clicking noise. I removed what I assume is the relay (shook it and it makes the rattly noise) but it looks slightly different from what I find online. I'm looking at a Canadian online store which has the same stuff it seems as the store here.

So should I just order the Overload and Relay Assembly (Whirlpool 4387835 | Overload and Relay Assembly Any help is appreciated.
Problem solved. I bought a relay kit ($90CDN) cause I couldn't wait for shipping over the weekend. The kit has various pieces depending on the compressor type and probably why so much more but I just used the relay and my own capacitor which was still good. Fridge back up and running.

GeorgeM

Premium Member
What wold be the correct unit for my Kenmore side by side refer?
Model number is 596.50003100

Yesterday I found not cooling and the click - buzz - click sound. Unplugged it last night. Plugged it back in today. It started up and colled freezer and refer to correct settings and the started the click - buzz- click. again. Hoping it is the start up relay and not the compressor.
Thanks
GM

gorybebo

Premium Member
Thanks for this post. It's awesome all the information that's available here.

I have question. I have a Kenmore SxS model 106.54699300.

I've read through this thread and I think I have a similar problem. My fridge is doing the clicking noise. The fans are working fine, there are no frost in the condenser and everything else looks ok.

I removed the starter relay. But I don't hear the rattling noise on it. Like I said it clicks every couple of minutes.

Can it still be the relay even tho there's no rattling noise? how do I know if the compressor it's running? There is air inside the fride, but its warm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.