Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake

tav

Premium Member
Hi Jake - I have a Whirlpool ED5PHEXMQ00. I found your info on replacing the start device. When I removed mine it was fried and clearly damaged. We found a part store open this morning (no small task on labor day weekend). We installed the new start device but the compressor will not start. Is there something I missed? The fridge started to make a buzzing noise on Tues night when the compressor tried to turn on. I did not realize there was an issue until yesterday when I noticed everything in the freezer was beginning to thaw.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Is the new overload/relay/start device clicking when the compressor tries to start?

tav

Premium Member
Right after I posted, the compressor started working! Looks like the freezer is already down to 30 degrees. Thanks for all your advice on this blog.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good tav.:)

Jake

snargi

Premium Member
Does Relay kit contain the right individual pieces?

Hello,

We have a Kitchenaid fridge - made in 1998 - model ksrs25fgbl00. We had the symptoms described here - it stopped cooling - and every few minutes a clicking sound. My husband describes it as he thinks it (the compressor) is trying to come on, and then it stops.

We took the overload and start relay out and shook the start relay and it was rattling and actually little black particles are falling out.

So we think we have to replace the relay, but what about the overload? Are these normally replace as a pair?

My husband also snapped off the tab of the box these sit in - so we might need to replace the whole thing (assembly - box, relay and overload).

We saw a post to this thread (from Jake maybe) about a kit through repair clinic and the kit looks like exactly what we need.

Problem is - the 2 parts (per the part numbers in the kitchenaid parts diagram i found online) - overload 2183456 and relay 2183454 - add up to cost more at repair clinic and sears than the kit at repair clinic that contains the box, relay and overload- so now we're wondering if the kit is the right one. The kit is Item #586449 (found that link here in this thread).

Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, on this model there is no kit, you have to order the compressor start relay and overload separately.

The prices below are less expensive than RepairClinic.

Here's the compressor start relay for your model you can order here(Part number has been updated):
Manufacturer's Number: 2262185

Here's the overload for your model you can order here:
Manufacturer's Number: 2183456

snargi

Premium Member
cover and overload

Thanks so much Jake.

So if we need the cover - it looks like the appliance parts online store you referred to has the cover too:

WHIRLPOOL 2162358 Cover, AP3064545 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Does that look correct for our model?

But in terms of the start relay vs the overload - do you typically need to replace both? The start relay is the one is really rattling (with black particles falling out). The other one (overload) rattles a little - does that also indicate it needs to be replaced? We didn't know if failures on that are just as common as the start relay and its just best to replace both at the same time.

Thanks!

mitsor

Premium Member
Jake - WE are having similar problems with our KitchenAid KSRS25IHSS02. Over the weekend, it stopped cooling on both the fridge and freezer side. Lights still worked, sounded like it was still running, but went totally warm. Now this morning it is cooling again, making ice and getting cold on both sides. Not sure what to do, and whether to trust it by reloading it with food? Should we go ahead and try to take off the back cover and look around? Or let it go and wait to see if it happens again? Maybe order a part just to have in case? Any advice is appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks so much Jake.

So if we need the cover - it looks like the appliance parts online store you referred to has the cover too:

WHIRLPOOL 2162358 Cover, AP3064545 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Does that look correct for our model?

But in terms of the start relay vs the overload - do you typically need to replace both? The start relay is the one is really rattling (with black particles falling out). The other one (overload) rattles a little - does that also indicate it needs to be replaced? We didn't know if failures on that are just as common as the start relay and its just best to replace both at the same time.

Thanks!
Sorry must of missed your last post, yes thats the correct cover for your model, and yes its best to replace both when one fails.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jake - WE are having similar problems with our KitchenAid KSRS25IHSS02. Over the weekend, it stopped cooling on both the fridge and freezer side. Lights still worked, sounded like it was still running, but went totally warm. Now this morning it is cooling again, making ice and getting cold on both sides. Not sure what to do, and whether to trust it by reloading it with food? Should we go ahead and try to take off the back cover and look around? Or let it go and wait to see if it happens again? Maybe order a part just to have in case? Any advice is appreciated.
Yes, check your compressor start relay device, as per the guide I posted in post #1 in this thread:
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/refrigerators-freezers/1232-fixed-how-replace-whirlpool-kenmore-model-106-refrigerator-start-relay.html#post6491

Your model uses the exact same compressor start relay kit as in post #1.

Jake

mitsor

Premium Member
freezer working, fridge still seems warm

Jake - I followed your instructions, order the part from RepairClinic. It arrived today and we had it installed by around 2:30pm. The freezer immediately got cold and a small cup of water I put inside turned to ice. But it is now 9:50pm and the refrigerator still seems a little warm. I put a thermometer in and it is reading around 50 degrees.

One thing that I should have done was to clean out the lint and dirt inside the unit when I replace the part earlier today. I didn't take the time to do that, but I will re-open the back and do that tomorrow, but not sure if that is really the issue? When I put my hand up near the vent inside the fridge, I do feel cold (cool?) air flowing in from the freezer. But apparently it is not enough? Just not sure what to do next.

mitsor

Premium Member
It's working!

Ignore my previous message from last night. I guess it just needed some more time to cool down. Fridge and freezer working great now. I did go ahead and clean out all the dust. Thank you so much for your speedy and helpful advice. And to RepairClinic.com for the fast delivery of the part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.