• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED How to replace a - Whirlpool/Kenmore Model 106 - Refrigerator Start Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooperi

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for your suggestion regarding filing/sanding the compressor terminal. That's a good idea and worth a try. If that doesn't work will I need to replace the compressor?

I appreciate the link to the starting device kit. What part do I need for the black portion? I find it difficult to fully understand the parts diagram. Is that just the cover or is it the relay and overload? I've attached a couple of photos of what I'm replacing (not that you need it, but I figure I can so why not).

Thanks again.

Ivan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The black part is your capacitor, it just pulls off.

If your unable to file or sand the compressor terminal to clean it up, you would need a licensed refrigerator tech. to come out to replace the compressor, under warranty if its less than 5 yrs. old.

Jake

johnny red

Premium Member
Part Verification: Kenmore Coldspot 106.545023

Make/Model: Kenmore Coldspot 106.54502300 (Side-by-Side)

My scenario:
Both fridge and freezer stopped being cold. I noticed the freezer first (melted ice cream), then the fridge went... On 4th of July of all days!! Every 10 minutes or so, I'd hear a hum and clicking. I tried adjusting the settings to a colder state, but no luck.

After reading this Thread, I followed instructions:
1) Located the compressor (lower left on back side of fridge) and alleged defective part (start relay)
2) Unclipped the silver metal fastener holding on the part
3) Removed the green wire (top) and the double white and red wires (bottom)
4) Pulled the part off (it took a little force, but was removed by hand). One thing that would have helped was knowing that it slides directly to the left – not up, down or toward you.
5) Once I had the part removed, I shook it and it sounds like there's something loose inside

I've purchased the "Starting device kit, compressor (Part# 1177466)" from www.repairclinic.com:

https://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-1177466-==i1177466&PartID=1177466

I should get the kit this week.

I'm doing this a little backwards, but do you think this is the right part for my situation?

I'll try and post a follow up once I get the part and install it.

btw... I'm a moron when it comes to fixing things, but I just had a friend spend $450 on a $50 part because he had the fridge repairman do it... so, I thought I should try this first.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes johnny, thats the correct start device relay for your model, I had to replace one last week myself, worked great!

Comes with great instructions, piece of cake.:)

Jake

bodie3003

Premium Member
Hi, Jake! Using this thread, I've determined that the start relay is the problem with my refrigerator, but I need to make sure that I order the correct part. I have a Whirlpool Gold Conquest, and the model number is GS6SHAXLB03. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kimberly

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Jake! Using this thread, I've determined that the start relay is the problem with my refrigerator, but I need to make sure that I order the correct part. I have a Whirlpool Gold Conquest, and the model number is GS6SHAXLB03. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kimberly
Hi Kimberly,

Here's the one for your model, It comes with complete instructions and tells you what to use:
Manufacturer part number 8201786 is RepairClinic item number 1177466

Jake

bodie3003

Premium Member
Thank you! I've now ordered it, and I'm really excited about fixing this myself--I'll let you know how it goes for me!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good Kimberly.:)

Jake

bodie3003

Premium Member
My order arrived today, and I had the new part installed in less than 10 minutes, thanks to the great instructions!

I'm just a single mom with a low income, and I'm so happy that I was able to do this myself without having to call in a repairman.

Thank you, thank you, Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Kimberly, great job.:)

Jake

hassanstudio

Premium Member
How to replace a Whirlpool/Kenmore/KitchenAid refrigerator start relay.

The example shown here is done on a side-by-side whirlpool refrigerator.

Many of the start relays
are the same on other makes and models even though they may look a little different.

Customer Complaint:

My refrigerator is to warm and I can hear a clicking noise.

My refrigerator is not cooling at all but it sounds like it is running.

Often times the customer will hear just the fans running and think the refrigerator is running, but
the compressor is not running because the start relay it bad and needs to be replaced.
To replace the start relay you will need to unplug the refrigerator at the outlet.

Pull the refrigerator away from the wall so you can remove the lower back cover.

Unplug your refrigerator first!

Once you have the back cover removed you will be able to see the compressor.

The start relay will be located on the side of the compressor. The start relay shown on this side by

side whirlpool refrigerator is white and has a white and red wire going to it.

Remove the old start relay by pulling it off by hand. If it does not pull of by hand easily you may

have to put the tip of a flat blade screw driver between the start relay and the body of the

compressor to help pry it off. Most of the time you can remove them without any force.

Shake the relay, if it rattles, then its definitely bad.

Here is the part to order(comes with instructions):
Manufacturer part number 8201799 is RepairClinic item number 1164371
8201799​

Hi Jake,

Thanx a million. Great tutorial.

I stumbled upon your link thru google. I had the same type of problem in my Whirlpool ED22TQXFW00. Following your instructions, I checked and found the relay start was rattling. I changed the relay (thanx for your picture, they helped a lot). Withing a few minutes, a hissing sound started from near the compressor that was not heard before (the fan was working already). A few more minutes gone, the freezer started cooling, the fridge side not so good. Matter of fact, very little. Please suggest what should I do. The fridge side need to be improved.

Hassan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Hassan,

Give it about 4 hours on the refrigerator side, then 24 hours for both the refrigerator and freezer sections to stabilize.:)

Jake

blissfool

Premium Member
Tried and failed

Hey, Jake,
First of all, thanks for such a wonderful site. (I've just joined as premium! :cool:)

I've followed your instructions and attempted to fix my fridge using the parts described in your first poast last night but I don't think it worked out for me. Manufacturer part number 8201799 is RepairClinic item number 1164371

My Fridge is Kenmore Coldspot. (ser#: 106.50264992) The instruction said to use the 6th digit in the serial number to figure out the right overload to use, 22 cubic ft in my case, and I did that. I believe I got all the connection correctly but the compressor is still not running. It just hot and doesn't run. I've tried changing the temperature setting down and up repeatedly. I've set it to factory recommended setting and left it overnight. It's still warm.

Not sure what to do at this point. :confused:
Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Then its possibly your compressor thats bad. You have a 5 yr. parts & labor warranty on it from Sears.

Jake

blissfool

Premium Member
i see..

Thanks for your reply. That's a bummer.

The manufacture date says year 2000 and the fridge was already there when we moved in 3 years ago, so I'm probably outta luck with the warranty. Sears cust. srv. said it's $75 for diagnosis + parts/labor. They wouldn't give me a figure on the labor. They said I'd have to ask the technician. :(

Our building super also mentioned that it might be out of gas? Do you know what he's are referring to? Is he talking about freon/refrigerant? If that really could be an issue, how would I diagnose that? Is refilling refrigerant something that can be done by myself or should it be left with a technician?

Lastly, what would be general parts+labor figure for replacing the compressor? and for refilling gas(freon?)?
I just need an average/really generalized figure.

Thanks again!!!!

PS. I hope those are not inappropriate questions to ask. I'm just frustrate and make a quick decision but also try as best as I can to resolve the issue before doing anything drastic.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, usually when its out of gas(freon) then the compressor will still run but not cool, in your case the compressor is lock-up inside and won't even start running, thus a new compressor would fix it, but with the age of it, its not worth putting $600 in it for a new compressor.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help blissfool.:)

Jake

scb71

Premium Member
Refrigerator cool but not COLD

I have a Kenmore 106.53706202 in the garage for beer and frozen things. I have dismantled and put back together today in the hopes of finding some of the common issues you noted. Here is what I have found:

I noticed the refrigerator was cool but not cold and the outside between the two side by side doors was very hot. Then the freezer and refrigerator got warm enough that not only was my beer not as cold as I would like but my ice cream melted and meat thawed in the freezer. So a large trash bag of thawing food later I found that the condensor fan was obstructed - the cardboard and insulation floor had actually been snagged and pulled up to block the fan blade. That was easily fixed and so the unit is blowing and going and the fan working but the condensor seems awfully hot and the refrigerator seems stuck around 51 degrees - the freezer was around 20 last I checked.

I have checked a number of things including:

- The control box (diffuser?) that opens and closes at the top left of the refrigerator side is working and cool air is coming through. I also ran the test sequence and saw it open and close, so that part appears to be fine.
- The air return is not frozen and is free from obstruction.
- The coils are not frozen over and the fan is working in there as well

So that leaves me with what else? I saw this thread and wondered if I should try the relay but am hopeful you can advise.

A) Would it even be as cold as it is if the relay were bad? Is that an it works or it doesn't sort of thing or can it sort of work?

B) Am I being inpatient and not giving the refrigerator enough time to cool down now that I "fixed" the condensor fan issue?

C) ????

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.